HDMI switch hack

Request a hack or modification here:

So, you need a new wheelchair control for your nephew, someone here can figure it it. Maybe you want ambient lighting for your car to match the music, we've probably got someone here who does that.

No illegal "hacking" requests allowed and we are not responsible for the activities of the users. If you make an arrangement with another user, it is between the two of you.

HDMI switch hack

Postby smurftheweb » September 24th, 2012, 2:08 am

Hi all

I am looking to create a switch to connect all my devices together by HDMI. I have a TV in my office, and on the other side of the wall a TV in the lounge, and I already have a hole to run the cables through. It will need to be able to choose to connect one of four inputs to one of two outputs (i.e. PC1 to TV1, PC2 to TV2, switch to PC1 to TV2, XBOX to TV1, etc). There is no need to connect one input to multiple outputs (i.e. PC1 to TV1 / TV2 simultaneously).

In an ideal world, I would like to be able to control it by IR, but switches are fine too!

Basic overview of what needs connecting is below:

I have decent soldering / hardware skills, and much better software skills (arduino, etc or PC), but I do not know how to get started on this. Suggestions / ideas greatly appreciated please!
smurftheweb

Re: HDMI switch hack

Postby UAirLtd » September 24th, 2012, 8:10 am

Some of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Port-HDMI-Swi ... 3f0dd30e53

and some of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Male-To-2x ... 4ab65a1a4a

And some HDMI gender changers.

Or you could go fully DIY on it, HDMI is supposed to be hot-swappable, so you'd basically be playing around with something like a hundred channels of analog multiplexers (or even relays) for your needs, but that's not something you'd want to sit down and solder. I'd say just get some cheap switches and wire them up, at that price, I doubt your DIY solution would be cheaper or better, which somewhat negates the purpose of DIY.
UAirLtd

Postby smurftheweb » September 24th, 2012, 9:06 am

I actually have one of those 3-to-1 selectors, and they're not very good (kept having flickering unless it was on 720p not 1080i), for future reference.

The problem is, with switches, most of them are auto-sensing. For example, with the switch above if 2 cables are connected, you cannot select #3 (no output), so it is very difficult to turn off output.
smurftheweb

Postby UAirLtd » September 24th, 2012, 11:40 am

well, the problems with the flickering is somewhat indicative of the issues you might have with any solution that you build yourself - high resolution video demands huge data throughput, so any system in the way this is going to disrupt or degrade the signal quality is going to cause you problems, regardless whether it's bad quality electronics, or dodgy DIY build quality.

In any case, you've got two choices for building an HDMI switcher, a purely physical switching system that basically multiplexes together the wires of the HDMI cable (either using relays or analog mux), this is simple but will degrade signal unless you are careful about component selection and design. Your other option is to actually interpret the HDMI signal and digitally transfer the relevant stream to the output, this involves significant processing power and is probably overkill for what you want.

My advice to you is to just get a higher quality HDMI switch box. Going DIY on this is more grief than it is worth.
UAirLtd

Postby smurftheweb » September 24th, 2012, 11:57 am

Ahh - true, looking at it something with relays is just going to get very messy very quickly.

After a bit more searching, I am going to order this one instead: http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3143

Thanks for the advice :)
smurftheweb

Postby st2000 » September 24th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Maybe I'm looking at this up-side-down... but, you probably are not really going to switch the XBox right? I mean it's got all kinds of USB gaming controls that you would have to switch as well and lead through the wall. That said, and assuming the "AUX" input is really not connected, you have 2 PC's and 2 TV's. I'd say cross mount your media and have a PC in each room. Now, you have all your media on each PC available on the other and all you have to "string" through the wall is on 10/100/1000-BaseT cable. Done.
st2000

Postby hnoor0066 » April 11th, 2016, 10:39 pm

thanks for everything

Postby 1josephsutton » July 29th, 2017, 10:45 pm

You may take a look of this page http://bestproducts-4u.com/best-hdmi-splitters/
There is a list of best hdmi splitters. I hope your problem will be solved.
1josephsutton

Return to Requests and commissions