Liquid CO2 beer cooler.

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Liquid CO2 beer cooler.

Postby thumbsup » January 28th, 2011, 8:34 am

Hi, i know that liquid CO2 can be preaty cold, therefore wouldn't it be possible to cool your beer can with liquid CO2.
I have seen videos online were guys freeze their beer or cardors with turning these dust air cans upside down.
Because these air dust cans contains CO2/carbon dioxside. But it's preaty exspensive to buy there cans for 5$ a can.
Therefor it would be nice to use these 20oz CO2 tanks made for paintballing, they are cheap to refill and they can hold a lot of CO2.
Or maybe a smaller version with 12 gram CO2 cartridges, but that would be a little more expensive.
But ofcorse the thank have to be isolatet so i wont get to hot, for exsample if you bring it to the beatch and you let the thank lay in the sun for a long time, because then the presure will build up and the burstdisck will burst.

What do you guys think, wouldn't it be nice to go to the beatch without having to mess with ice or dryice?
And by the way, sorry for my bad english.

Edit:
Found a video online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeIwJfHEvTg
thumbsup

Re: Liquid CO2 beer cooler.

Postby wellernumber7 » January 30th, 2011, 2:39 pm

You could get a small CO2 cartridge which sits in th beer, with a device to safely pierce the top seal and vent the gas away from hands / faces / etc.
wellernumber7

Postby iToast » January 30th, 2011, 8:58 pm

wellernumber7 wrote:You could get a small CO2 cartridge which sits in th beer, with a device to safely pierce the top seal and vent the gas away from hands / faces / etc.

TAHTS A HORRIBLE IDEA!

if he wants co2, he can use dry ice. aka solid co2! ;D
iToast

Postby jim » February 1st, 2011, 3:06 am

You could put a valve on a beer cooler and empty soda syphon cartridges into it. As it boiled off and vented, it would chill the contents, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.
jim

Postby wellernumber7 » February 13th, 2011, 6:50 am

jim wrote:You could put a valve on a beer cooler and empty soda syphon cartridges into it. As it boiled off and vented, it would chill the contents, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Maybe a copper coil in the beer,with one end outside the can / keg / bottle / cup, and a valve on the other end?
wellernumber7

Postby jim » February 13th, 2011, 2:57 pm

That'd work and be less messy, if you can call CO₂ messy. What I'm thinking now is why not make a beer cooler out of dry ice. The handle might fall off and the beers go through the bottom, but man that'd be cool.
jim

Postby leadacid » February 14th, 2011, 12:58 pm

Well, there's a big difference between chill and freeze solid. :D

Amazingly MythBusters did a episode on this exact thing, how to chill your "drink" as quickly as possible. In the end a CO2 fire extinguisher was the best solution, but it was the most expensive at around $40 to chill a six-pack.

Your idea of venting CO2 is a valid one, but not terribly efficient. The reason you're getting a temperature drop is because of the pressure change. When you go from a highly compressed gas or liquid to a less compressed form (aka dry ice, venting CO2, etc.) the "phase change" is what drops the temperature. You get the opposite effect when you compress gases, there is heat generation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_transition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor-compression_refrigeration

This is the principle any conventional refrigerator operates on. You'd be accomplishing the same thing, except you aren't recapturing your gas to re-compress to perform the same phase-change in an endless cycle. Also, unless you are piping the cold, now lower pressure gas, through something you're losing a lot of the temperature differential to the gas itself (and subsequently the environment) rather than your drink, which is hard to capture without some kind of heat exchanger, like the coils on your refrigerator.

If you're okay with the cost associated with burning through the CO2 very quickly at a very low efficiency level, no problem then, just be safe!
leadacid

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit