LiPo in classic Tokyo Marui SIG551...

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

LiPo in classic Tokyo Marui SIG551...

Postby Yoshimitsu » May 27th, 2015, 12:13 am

Howdy! I thought you guys would be the best folks to ask about this, as the people on the airsoft boards are super knowledgeable but this is more of an electronics question.

I'm an airsofter and recently picked up a pair of barely used classic Tokyo Marui AEGs, an AK47s (seems to be from the first run as the manual and product showcase has a very limited range) and a SIG551. The SIG550/551 has been discontinued for maybe 10+ years, due to a finicky selector and 2-8 burst chip that often failed they weren't a popular choice. The "chip" as it's often called is actually a small pcb with a rheostat to adjust from 2 rounds to 8 rounds, they're very old school (newer designs have a mechanical burst or mosfet which is much more reliable) . Designed for 8.6v 600mah nicd battery.

The reason for the failures was user error, using the rifles in the rain or using a 9.6v or higher battery caused damage. I could always get rid of the pcb in favour of a mosfet , but I want to keep it standard and unmolested. Lipo batteries are growing in popularity in airsoft and a small 7.2v 1300mah 30c lipo would fit nicely in the foregrip of the Sig, giving it better trigger response and a nicer rate of fire. Would this cause any damage to the pcb? I know the lipo batteries have a higher discharge rate and more punch.

I know it's important to know what components are built into the pcb, so I shall strip it down in the morning and take some photos. Thanks for the help.
Yoshimitsu

Re: LiPo in classic Tokyo Marui SIG551...

Postby Yoshimitsu » May 27th, 2015, 12:13 pm

Here are the pics as promised. Looks like a basic little 555 timer board, but you guys will know better. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Burst PCB:
Yoshimitsu

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit