Bluetooth appliance trolling

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Bluetooth appliance trolling

Postby jongscx » November 25th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Stuck in traffic the other day, I noticed someone's headphones were available for bluetooth pairing, it went away before I could try to actually do it, but the question remains:

How difficult would it be to have a device that constantly scans for unpaired bluetooth devices, connects, and plays an endless loop of Nyan-cat on the newly pair device? :mrgreen:
jongscx

Re: Bluetooth appliance trolling

Postby << \n » September 9th, 2016, 11:27 am

well, if you wanted a bodgey quick solution, all you'd need is some script that continually "presses" the BT scan button on your phone, and when it sees a device it connects with it. then route whatever you like through that connection. (e.g. script that loops nyan can). potential problems might be accidentally blasting yourself with nyan cat, or maybe connect to another computer and thus your system security / privacy is compromised (very bad!!). for the former problem, have a whitelist of your own devices to avoid, for the latter, either have solid crypto on everything you own, or you only approve connections with certain devices, or (and this is the draconian way do do it) not have any sensitive data on anything you own. (if you go bodgey, make sure you don't fall into the black hole of code spaghettification or topple the monolithic tower-of-piza / jenga -code, (also never compromise your freedom) i recommend a more thought through approach to this though, but it is do-able, and easy if you can coded) (this all assumes you have root access to your phone, if not, you could build a do it through a laptop with a dongle, or make a silly little dedicated device with a bluetooth module (which should be more fun if you like gadgets))
<< \n

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit