Orangerx as transmitter receiver

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Orangerx as transmitter receiver

Postby Camerart » June 2nd, 2014, 5:34 am

Hi,

I am interested to know if OrangeRX openlrs TX/RX can be used as a straight forward transmitter receiver. I want to send and receive data across a short distance.

These modules are normally used as radio control TX/RX and can be programmed as either. The firmware is flashed to the modules via a serial-USB adaptor.

If anyone is interested in writing a program for this purpose, I can attach a Radio Control program, as an example. I'm sure this would be useful for many future projects.

Cheers, Camerart
Attachments
ORANGE 433MHz.jpg
Camerart

Re: Orangerx as transmitter receiver

Postby jongscx » July 22nd, 2014, 10:00 am

Have you looked at this library for Arduino? You never mentioned what you were planning to have as a tx/rx, so I'm just assuming...

http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/RCKit/
jongscx

Postby Camerart » July 22nd, 2014, 10:47 am

jongscx wrote:Have you looked at this library for Arduino? You never mentioned what you were planning to have as a tx/rx, so I'm just assuming...

http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/RCKit/

Hi Jongscx,

If I understand correctly, the link you sent doesn't use these transitter/receivers, am I correct?

At the moment there are programs that can be flashed to these modules for use as radio control TX/RX. I want to flash one of the transmitters as a transmitter (TX) and a second one as a receiver (RX) then simply send data between the two so only one channel. I'm hoping to find someone who can write a program for them to be used this way.

Cheers, Camerart.
Camerart

Postby jongscx » July 22nd, 2014, 8:52 pm

I'm sorry if I misunderstood the original question, but you also give us very... nothing... to go on. Things like required data rates, content, format... much lesss what will be hooking up to the devices, how the devices will hook up to the Orange units, how they will communicate with each other, etc.

I mean if it's short text messages, you could do Morse code pretty easily... if it's streaming HD video, not so much.

However, to answer you question as to whether "these units can be used as a straightforward transmitter receiver", I give you a link to an arduino project that can use ANY rcRx as a transmitter receiver... so Yes you can.
jongscx

Postby Camerart » July 23rd, 2014, 3:44 am

jongscx wrote:I'm sorry if I misunderstood the original question, but you also give us very... nothing... to go on. Things like required data rates, content, format... much lesss what will be hooking up to the devices, how the devices will hook up to the Orange units, how they will communicate with each other, etc.

I mean if it's short text messages, you could do Morse code pretty easily... if it's streaming HD video, not so much.

However, to answer you question as to whether "these units can be used as a straightforward transmitter receiver", I give you a link to an arduino project that can use ANY rcRx as a transmitter receiver... so Yes you can.

Hi jongscx,

Sorry for he confusion!

Here is a link to a webpage that works on the modification of these modules for radio control use: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1782034 I assume if you look at one of the earlier versions oof code, it will have less code to sift through.

My first use for what I am after is to send data from a nearby Ublox NEO-6M NMEA GPS, back to me to receive at a base station. I have used 9600 for this so far.

The Orange devices, have a pin for RC data (PPM) that will be used. I'm pretty sure it is ASCII that is being sent.

Camerart.
Camerart

Postby Camerart » July 29th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Hi,

Is anyone interested in this, or should I consider the post ended?

Camerart.
Camerart

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit