XD2 x300 series Access Device

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

XD2 x300 series Access Device

Postby thacious » May 22nd, 2014, 10:23 am

I recently came across an x300 Access Device from NComputing, it is supposed to run as a thin client and hook up to an X300 PCI card and power through Ethernet, it comes full with a vga port, ps/2 mouse and keyboard ports, audio jack, and Ethernet port (of course.) The catch would seem to be that I don't have said pci card (or the other 2 clients in the set of 3), but rather than just junk it I was curious if anyone might have any thoughts on it's usability beyond going and buying the pci card and having it be used in it's normal intended manner. It clearly has some internal video processing capabilities, and a few other localized features, unfortunately I've had a difficult time finding good spec sheets or diagrams for it.

My initial thought was to possibly try to emulate the server hardware (pci card) but I was unsure as to how this would work with the power via Ethernet consideration, whether or not it might require a mod on the ethernet port used, or even if it could be powered through a different means. Alternately I was interested to see if it couldn't be used to further extend my RasPi I have laying about in some way shape or form (I know that would require extra external power.)

I just got this thing so my intimate knowledge of the device in question is limited, but I would be interested to see if anyone has any experience dealing with them and what their capabilities/limitations are. I can't help but think it has some potential for a project, but it's hard to say without solid info on what's in it (I suppose I'll crack in open eventually). I posted a few extra pics of the device for reference sake, I'm curious on other peoples input on this neat looking toy.
Attachments
vlcsnap-2014-05-22-11h18m53s244.png
vlcsnap-2014-05-22-11h20m00s150.png
vlcsnap-2014-05-22-11h16m55s87.png
thacious

Re: XD2 x300 series Access Device

Postby Dans34 » May 22nd, 2014, 12:32 pm

is it anything like

http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/QLXpro/index.shtml
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/NComp/index.shtml

you might lucky and find it has a jtag port or something
Dans34

Re: XD2 x300 series Access Device

Postby thacious » May 22nd, 2014, 1:58 pm

Here's a couple pics of the internals, It has an Altera 3064n programmable logic chip in it (which I unfortunately know very little about but did find a bit of documentation http://www.altera.com/literature/ds/m3000a.pdf.) I have a few other things going so I'll have to look into it a bit more later but there seems to be a nice set of 10 pins that probably have some use no doubt.

I'm still pretty new to the board tinkering scene (AKA I know of JTAG ports, but have never used one, all the firmware flashing I have done was through regular usb or sata ports and custom utilities), so I'm still a little leary on where I should start, but I always appreciate any help available.
Attachments
vlcsnap-2014-05-22-14h50m34s21.png
vlcsnap-2014-05-22-14h36m06s45.png
thacious

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit