Building a micro heating element

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Building a micro heating element

Postby BertB » May 11th, 2014, 10:33 am

Hi there,

I'm designing a vaping device which is Li-Ion battery powered and uses standard e-liquids (propylene glycol / vegetable glycol). The liquid would evaporate around 200 celsius and the heating element should attain this temperature within 1 second. Current methods use a coil with a liquid absorbing wire, which is not durable nor easy to reuse.

I've been looking into ceramic heating elements but it's a forest of options out there, most of them becoming waaaaay to hot and/or needing a much higher voltage than a standaard Li-ion battery would provide at around 1100 Mah. So i've been thinking of building one, or having a prototype built for me. Problem is, i'm not 100% sure that a ceramic method would be the best way (so many options). I've even thought of using a LED type method to generate heat.

Around the ceramic element (or on top if it is in disc form), i'd place a replaceable sock that can absorb the fluid and withstand excess heat (better than the standard kanthal / ekowool / etc.). This way the end user would only need to replace a sock after some time (for instance when changing fluids). It would also not burn and contaminate the liquid like current systems do.

Anybody have an idea? Perhaps i'm going around this the wrong way (not a natural technician).

Regards,

Bert
BertB

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit