Need some advice on smelting and casting aluminum.

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Need some advice on smelting and casting aluminum.

Postby jdraughn » May 9th, 2014, 9:44 am

I remember reading an article here on hackaday a couple of years ago about someone who converted a carbureted lawn mower engine to fuel injection using a microcontroller to adjust the duty cycle to the fuel injector. I would like to do the same thing, but I would also like to add a starter, generator, and electronic ignition. There is no practical purpose, it's just for fun.

Instead of trying to rig everything together with scrap metal or cheap metal stock, I thought it would be neat if I could use my 3D printer to print out any brackets or intake manifolds, and then use the lost wax method, where either I use the 3d printed parts to make a mold of the wax, or possibly use the 3d printed parts directly, if that's possible. I only plan on using aluminum, at least for my first few casts.

All I know about smelting and casting is what I have read here and there, mostly on hackaday over the last few years. I have been searching google on building a cheap aluminum smelter, but wanted to know if any of you have any first hand experience with this type of thing, or if you have been researching it yourself and know of any good tutorials on the web. Any help on the matter would be appreciated!
jdraughn

Re: Need some advice on smelting and casting aluminum.

Postby sparhawk817 » May 16th, 2014, 1:57 pm

i would recommend you search instructables.com on info, there's loads there, as well as look up some of the gingery stuff. if there's a techshop nearby a few guys there might be able to help you, and i have a few pdf files that could be of use, email me gustr817 at gmail(dot)com and i can hook you up, or you can search pirate bay and torrent them, i'm sure they have them too.
sparhawk817

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit