Sky hd + box conversion for xbmc

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Sky hd + box conversion for xbmc

Postby Banno1991 » March 7th, 2014, 4:34 am

Hi

I have been reading about raspberry pi and xbmc, I have had an idea and looking round the internet I can't find exactly what I am looking for.

Basically I want to know if I could use the current components within a sky hd + box (eg hard drive and power supply) connect it to a raspberry pi and watch/record.

I don't know if this has been done before, what I have seen is people using the shells to create a PC using new parts.

Any ideas or pointers would be great

Thanks
Banno1991

Re: Sky hd + box conversion for xbmc

Postby Retroplayer » March 7th, 2014, 2:30 pm

The answer is *probably*. You need 5V at 1.5A to power the Pi, and if the sky has a 3.5 HDD, you need 5v for that and 12V (the original supply would already have these of course.) The Pi doesn't support a HDD directly, so you would need to get a USB to HDD adapter.

For buttons, etc.. you could gut a keyboard and wire them into the key matrix or go the V-USB route and make a custom keyboard out of the keys. You are going to end up needing some custom hardware and SW to interface to everything else, though.

For recording, you will need a compatible USB TV tuner of some sort.

I don't have a Sky box and have never seen one, so I am not sure what all is involved in it. But, yes, it is possible to do what you want.
Retroplayer

Postby Mjolinor » March 7th, 2014, 2:50 pm

Control using the TV remote over the HDMI cable, very easy as it is already in there with most images for XBMC.
Mjolinor

Postby Banno1991 » March 7th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Retroplayer thanks for your reply

In regards to the recording I was planning on using the software on the raspberry pi (Linux) and for example downloading a movie rather than storing this on an SD card would it be possible to connect it straight to the hard drive currently inside the sky box.

Mjolinor that was a question I was going to ask thanks for your advise. I am thinking of connect the on button from the sky box to the Pi would you say this is possible?
Banno1991

Postby Retroplayer » March 7th, 2014, 4:55 pm

Yes, you can store anything to the HDD. But, again you will need a USB to HDD adapter to connect the HDD in there.

From the pics of the Sky box, it looks like ON button is a momentary button. Have a look at the power supply. It may have a remote power line and standby supply already like an ATX supply has. Then you would only need to route the switch to the power supply.

You may want to actually route the switch to one of the GPIO pins on the Rasberry Pi and have it do a safe shutdown with triggering that remote power signal from a second GPIO pin. This way you can make sure writes are finished before the power is cut off.

If you are using the button for something else, then a GPIO pin could be used with a pullup.
Retroplayer

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit