I need an "Every other time" switch, help!

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

I need an "Every other time" switch, help!

Postby donar » February 17th, 2014, 7:06 am

Hello guys,

I want to connect a search light to the top of my boat. I do not want to make new wiring to the boat console, this is way to difficult. So I came up with an idea. It's easy to connect the search light to the normal boat navigation lighting wiring and switch. But I do not want the search light on all the time.

So what I need is an "every other time switch" to put before the search light, if such a thing exists. Or I need it to be invented on an as easy way as possible.

So I want:
Switch on first time - boat navigation lightning on
Switch off - boat lightning off
Switch on second time - Boat navigation lightning on and search light on
Switch off - All boat lightning off
Switch on first time - boat navigation lightning on
Switch off - boat lightning off
and on and on..

Preferably I would like this with as less components (and nu CPU's) as possible. Who had a smart and simple idea?

Regards,

Donar
donar

Re: I need an "Every other time" switch, help!

Postby k-ww » February 17th, 2014, 8:12 am

If you don't mind a change in the order of the lights:

1) boat navagation
2) searchlight
3) both
4) off

look for the switch used to control 3 way light bulbs.
k-ww

Re: I need an "Every other time" switch, help!

Postby modder_mike » February 17th, 2014, 7:37 pm

The least involved way to do this is to use an impulse relay. These are basically a switch toggled by a pen-clicker mechanism, triggered by a solenoid. They are sometimes used to control garage door motors. Toggle the coil once and it closes the switch, toggle it again and it opens it (and closes another, if dual throw).

In your case, you would leave your main lights connected to the switched rail and put the solenoid in parallel, such that every time the lights are turned on, the relay toggles. Then connect the relay's switch in series with your searchlight. Every second power on, the searchlight will be powered.

Now, generally the solenoid is made for intermittent pulses. You may want to put some capacitance in series to limit current through the solenoid after the trigger, which you can do since the relay latches in each state. Or not, if the solenoid happens to be tolerant of continuous service.
modder_mike

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit