one way wireless audio

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

one way wireless audio

Postby zacnotes » February 5th, 2014, 10:11 am

Hi all-
The goal: Single direction quality wireless audio that doesn't interfere with other wireless signals in the system, possibly a dozen of these units, each segregated from the next.

The arena: Church platform, a dozen wireless mic's, and a couple pro-quality wireless in-ear monitors, wireless guitar stations.

The motivation: We recently added in-ear monitors for everyone in the group, but only the music minister got the super-expensive wireless model. The system is great, our quality and blending have really gone up since we added the system, but I find the extra cabling (i play the guitar, and swap through the set - before I had wireless units on them, this was a mess) to be cumbersome. I am prototyping a bluetooth A2DP module now to suit my needs (2x bluegiga WT-32), but i thought i would toss this out to see if anyone has any other ideas i could chase down. Total cost of the way i am trying now is probably going to end up in the $120 range, and there is a lot of optional configuration i can do to make it shine, so to speak, but I would imagine if I can put something reasonable together, the other members of the group would be interested in a unit for themselves. The limited range required for each pair will help fight crosstalk, as i only need 5-10ft of usable range for each pair.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Zac
zacnotes

Re: one way wireless audio

Postby st2000 » February 5th, 2014, 12:40 pm

I would be curious to know if there is either noticeable delay or unpredictable delay over the A2DP link. I think the price of these things (you bought) are high because you have to have many analog radios running simultaneously or you need really fast digital links that do not add noticeable delay to the audio. My feelings are that these constraints cancel out the savings one usually enjoys when solving problems in the digital domain.
st2000

Postby zacnotes » February 5th, 2014, 1:31 pm

I will report back about whether or not there is a significant delay.

I would have purchased a product that suited my needs, but the only stuff I have been able to find is $500+, so even if the wt-32 modules are the best I can do, they are still a significant cost savings over the pro audio solution.
zacnotes

Postby zacnotes » February 13th, 2014, 1:19 pm

zacnotes wrote:I will report back about whether or not there is a significant delay.

I have successfully created both the source and sink modules, and with my phone as an output (using the 3.5mm jack) and a pair of headphones on the other end, I get some quality audio going on.

According to the datasheet, the firmware/audio codec i have loaded into the units allows for up to 150ms delays. Bluegiga produces what appears to be a low-latency version of the same codec that has a much lower latency allowance, 40ms, but i have yet to track it down, it wasn't in their firmware release pack.

I have to imagine that regular delays of up to 150ms would be difficult to overcome in a live performance situation, but 40ms might be manageable.

I don't have solid evidence either way yet, as when i drive the source module with the output from the monitor unit on the platform, the audio sounds way overdriven, and not at all clear. I did not bring my laptop to make adjustments however, so i have yet to perform a second test with adjusted settings.

I am starting to think i should have posted this in the hardware forum.
zacnotes

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit