Camera Trigger by turning a Base

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Camera Trigger by turning a Base

Postby hvegar » January 13th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Hello there,

Im working on a rig to take pictures every X degrees to cover an specified angle, I have seen some automated devices to program an automated task, but what I want is to do this just by turning the camera on a base, this will be done conecting the base to a steper motor, turning the base, will turn motor, the motor will generate pulses and this will triger the camera, I have some stepers from printer, but I dont want to burn the camera in the proces, I want to use a canon powershot with CHKD plus an usb triger with signal from the base, the main point is to protect the camera.

Thanks in advance.
hvegar

Re: Camera Trigger by turning a Base

Postby k-ww » January 13th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Rather than a stepper motor, find a quadrature shaft encoder [50 - 300+ pulses/rev] , or a quadrature output rotary switch [16-20 positions/rev].
k-ww

Postby hvegar » January 14th, 2014, 9:41 am

...mmm I already have the motors.

After making the post, notice that didnt mention that the camera should point out, but can also may work pointing to the axis of rotation, to "scan" an object, but this must be fixed.

The isue of how to change the frecuency of the shots, with poles on a " A-V " conection...

The usb remote for the camera is well explained on http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/USB_Remote_Cable just need do this by turning every X angle...
hvegar

Postby k-ww » January 14th, 2014, 10:07 am

If you wish high resolution for the angle, look at this IC - you will need a micro to calculate the trigger points, based on the IC's output.

http://www.melexis.com/Hall-Effect-Sens ... 6-566.aspx
k-ww

Postby hvegar » January 15th, 2014, 8:56 am

Well, Im working on software to work on the pictures taken, and hope to find a easy and cheap solution to the hardware, since electronics is my weaknes, going more on for a mechanichal device.

Other option to try is to get the signals from the steper motor to an arduino, (that already have) and from there, send the signal to triger the camera, buy for me is the same isue how to get a usable signal from the motor, as it turns.

This was an option for an arm, place the camera, move the arm, shot several pictures, record the arm movement, so can be used for the computation on the pictures.
hvegar

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit