Home Water supply system

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Home Water supply system

Postby gaganchd2000 » August 6th, 2013, 9:43 pm

Hi Hackers.

I have a Idea regarding house water supply that i am planning to implement in my home.
In my house fresh water supply comes only during morning and evening for 6-7 hours irregular intervals. During this time we use fresh water taps. Also there is overhead tank that stores water. when there is no fresh water supply is there then we use tank water taps. That means there is two taps in kitchen and bathrooms etc. This is dont like. I am thinking of making it simple and use single tap. I am planning to use Non return values to switch inputs between fresh water and tank water. attaching a pic of diagram . I know it will work for when fresh water pressure is too low or too high. but what about case where its is almost at same pressure as tank water pressure. Will that be a issue ? In theory it will be either on or off. But in practical will this work. Any expert opinion is welcomed. specially practical experience.
Attachments
tank (640x360).jpg
gaganchd2000

Re: Home Water supply system

Postby TheZuke! » August 8th, 2013, 8:04 am

Why not have a float valve on the roof tank to fill it when fresh water is available?
TheZuke!

Postby gaganchd2000 » August 10th, 2013, 7:26 pm

float value is there in tank. That is used to cut water when its tank is full. My aim here is to merge two inputs. And automatic selection of inputs which ever has higher pressure. So do you have any idea over it.
gaganchd2000

Postby hashish » October 24th, 2013, 11:46 am

How are sensing the water pressure? I think most expensive part of the project is the water pressure sensor on the fresh water input. I would say put one there and use an arduino to control the valves. When fresh water pressure falls below a preset threshold, close the fresh water valve and open the storage tank valve.

For the sensor installation, I think you just need an in-line T junction with the sensor coming off the fresh water pipe. Let me know if this helps and good luck.
hashish

Postby ChalkBored » October 24th, 2013, 6:34 pm

The check valves will do what he wants with no need to monitor the pressure, as long as they're kept in working order.
If one of them sticks open, the tank will either drain or overflow.
ChalkBored

Postby SQTB » January 21st, 2016, 8:19 pm

gaganchd2000 wrote:Hi Hackers.

I have a Idea regarding house water supply that i am planning to implement in my home.
In my house fresh water supply comes only during morning and evening for 6-7 hours irregular intervals. During this time we use fresh water taps. Also there is overhead tank that stores water. when there is no fresh water supply is there then we use tank water taps. That means there is two taps in kitchen and bathrooms etc. This is dont like. I am thinking of making it simple and use single tap. I am planning to use Non return values to switch inputs between fresh water and tank water. attaching a pic of diagram . I know it will work for when fresh water pressure is too low or too high. but what about case where its is almost at same pressure as tank water pressure. Will that be a issue ? In theory it will be either on or off. But in practical will this work. Any expert opinion is welcomed. specially practical experience.

Attach a main tap from the roof tank's bottom and depend on gravity pressure. If not strong enough have the tank elevated a few feet. Then just feed BOTH taps to the tank input concurrently. Have two float levels to turn off each tap respectively. Now I know that your going to say "BUT ONE OF THE TAPS IS NON-POTABLE WATER! We can't wash or drink in it!" YES I know. That's why you should install an inline whole house water filter to this tap and it will take out microsporidia and other microorganisms. It should also filter Lead and Chlorine or any heavy metals. A reverse osmosis filter is good. A sand filter is best but way too large and slow.

SQTB

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit