Call for Proposals for recycling a Dash GPS

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Call for Proposals for recycling a Dash GPS

Postby DrPaulBrewer » February 22nd, 2011, 12:11 am

If you are not familiar, the Dash Express GPS was a ~2008 crowd-sourced GPS device that transmitted traffic data both from and to the device.

The device has a wifi radio, a cell network data radio of some sort, a touch screen, built in battery, and it ran Linux to present its GPS UI to the user, which included YAHOO search access and some other nifties. I gave up on it long before the manufacturer/provider shut down because it just didn't live up to my expectations. So the unit might not yet know it should be a brick.

I will take proposals for what to do with it.... if you send in a cool proposal, I might send it to you, if not, the local electronics recycler will get it.

If you want it, an offer to pay the postage would be appreciated.

Other than that the unit is worthless and the question is what can people reasonably imagine doing with it.

Thanks -- Paul
Gmail := drpaulbrewer
DrPaulBrewer

Re: Call for Proposals for recycling a Dash GPS

Postby MS3FGX » February 22nd, 2011, 10:13 am

The Dash Express was a cool idea, but it is the kind of thing that got completely antiquated by smartphones, perhaps even more so than standard GPS units, because of the search and community functions it based itself so heavily on.

Anyway, is there any access to the Linux system available to the user? I am not familiar with the specifics of the device, so I'm not aware of what kind of freedom (if any) being based on Linux affords the user. If you can get access to Linux and actually change/install the existing software, I can see there being some possibilities there.
MS3FGX

Re: Call for Proposals for recycling a Dash GPS

Postby ENKI-][ » February 22nd, 2011, 3:33 pm

If it's running linux, there's little doubt that it could be rooted in theory (even if it's running it off rom). When I disassembled a dash GPS system a while back (it was second hand, so I don't know how old it is) it had a regular laptop hard drive inside. If the battery holds a charge and you can replace whatever gui they have on the thing, it would make a pretty good PDA -- especially if you can manage to pull out any expansions they might have hiding on the board.

Since the thing has wifi and cell connections and has GPS, if you can pull out an expansion bus (even if it's usb or serial) you could probably turn it into a pretty badass mobile robot with minimal extra work.
ENKI-][

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit