Toll Tag based garage door security / auto open

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Toll Tag based garage door security / auto open

Postby samster2.0 » May 1st, 2013, 9:02 pm

Is there a way to build a "Toll Tag" reader that will read tags from about 40 feet away?
If not a "Toll Tag" reader - is there something else that could be used to signal that an 'approved' vehicle is in the driveway? Maybe put a wifi router in the garage and have it check for a client (located in the car), and if the client is responding, disarm a security system or open a garage door? Maybe a reverse wireless pet fence, where the "fence" is in/on the car, and the "collar" is in or on the driveway?

Here's where I'm coming from:
A friend of mine has been thinking off and on about how to make his house more secure. Like all of you, he has a bunch of techie 'junk' that is valuable, most of it in his garage. He has a home security system, but unfortunately, the roll-up garage door isn't monitored. He mostly enters and exits his house through the garage door using the transmitters inside the cars. So, he sets the alarm everyday and drives to work. Then he drives home everyday, pulls into the driveway, opens the roll-up door with the garage door opener inside the car, goes in through the garage, into the house, and disarms the alarm.

Everything in the garage is essentially unprotected, especially if one of the cars is broken into.
Trying to think of ways to logically determine that when the homeowner's vehicle is present in the driveway, then allow the garage door to be opened without alarming. If homeowner's vehicle is not present and garage door opens, then alarm on.
samster2.0

Re: Toll Tag based garage door security / auto open

Postby Osgeld » May 1st, 2013, 9:18 pm

RFID

they have been using it for darn near a decade for toll roads
Osgeld

Postby samster2.0 » May 3rd, 2013, 12:51 pm

So...
Not being that familiar with the whole RFID scene, would that be an RFID tag stuck to the bottom of the car, and then a wire or coil of wire I'd have to implant in the driveway concrete??

Any other less invasive methods I should look into?
samster2.0

Postby st2000 » May 3rd, 2013, 7:28 pm

The problem with any active transponder is power management. Putting the processor into a deep sleep and calculating a duty cycle (you can tolerate) and battery life (that is acceptable) is not trivial. I don't think toll way transponders are passive RFID. I would think you would have to get really close to them to transfer enough energy to get them going. I'm betting that most if not all run on batteries. You might also consider, if you do figure out how toll way transponders work, that you might be shortening their expected life. That is, if you do get to the point they activate and send you some sort of unique code to open your garage, that these events are unexpected and probably occur many many times more often then normal toll events. Depending on the toll authority where you live, if you transponder dies prematurely, you might find yourself getting fined or manually billed at a much higher rate.

I'd stick with an ordinary garage door opener. Gone are the old fixed 256 possible code transmitters. I think most now use rotating codes with thousands if not millions of combinations.
st2000

Postby k-ww » May 9th, 2013, 8:02 am

How about using a pair of bluetooth modules:
These for example :
http://www.radi.com/modular67.htm

One in the car near the front grill and the other on the side of the garage door frame [in case the door is metal] - the newer ones have lower power requirements - let them be connected/paired to disable the alarms, and even use them when linked to turn on & off lghts in the house.
k-ww

Postby abstract123 » November 10th, 2014, 12:15 am

Mr K-ww provided you the best example you just need to follow it and resolve you problems easily.
abstract123

Postby TheZuke! » November 21st, 2014, 9:30 pm

Here is a "flaw" in the scenario...
Once the "car" opens the garage door, what will stop it from re-opening at 3am?
TheZuke!

Postby lastchancename » December 16th, 2014, 5:41 pm

--- Here is a "flaw" in the scenario... ---
--- what will stop it from re-opening at 3am? ---

Nothing if you want it to open at 3am?? What's wrong with opening the door at 3, or 4, 10 ?
To eliminate false triggering / opening - you can implement a simple state machine in the controller to track whether the car is inside / door open etc. Choose which conditions yup want to test/allow. Half an hour of extra coding on your door controller.
lastchancename

Postby SQTB » January 21st, 2016, 9:15 pm

samster2.0 wrote:Is there a way to build a "Toll Tag" reader that will read tags from about 40 feet away?
If not a "Toll Tag" reader - is there something else that could be used to signal that an 'approved' vehicle is in the driveway? Maybe put a wifi router in the garage and have it check for a client (located in the car), and if the client is responding, disarm a security system or open a garage door? Maybe a reverse wireless pet fence, where the "fence" is in/on the car, and the "collar" is in or on the driveway?

Here's where I'm coming from:
A friend of mine has been thinking off and on about how to make his house more secure. Like all of you, he has a bunch of techie 'junk' that is valuable, most of it in his garage. He has a home security system, but unfortunately, the roll-up garage door isn't monitored. He mostly enters and exits his house through the garage door using the transmitters inside the cars. So, he sets the alarm everyday and drives to work. Then he drives home everyday, pulls into the driveway, opens the roll-up door with the garage door opener inside the car, goes in through the garage, into the house, and disarms the alarm.

Everything in the garage is essentially unprotected, especially if one of the cars is broken into.
Trying to think of ways to logically determine that when the homeowner's vehicle is present in the driveway, then allow the garage door to be opened without alarming. If homeowner's vehicle is not present and garage door opens, then alarm on.

First of all the garage door should have a magnetic door sensor that attaches to the house's main alarm system. That is a given for all home security systems with garages. Next mount a solar cell (not south facing to avoid the sun) with a piece of black PVC over it to avoid adjacent light pollution interference. Now we need to build a VLC (visual light communications) relay. The solar cell is attached to a NE-567 tone decoder which is a PLL that looks for a audio tone along the light path. It fires a latched (or timed drop put) relay (or solid-state circuit) that temporarily bypasses the garage door from the alarm system but keeps the house still armed. That same relay also closes the SPST switch mounting on the wall to open the garage manually.

The tone generator is a NE-555 tone generator circuit built into his car's headlights. When he pulls into the driveway he just turns on his headlights momentarily or if it is overcast or night he will have them on already. The NE-555 is feed capacitively to the headlight circuit. The frequency is set and stable. For increase security two-tones can be employed like the way DTMF works for phones and prevents falsing. Anyone flashing a light into the solar cells does nothing. It ignores it as there is no tone frequency authentication. The range could be very distant too if the driveway is a long one.

SQTB

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit