Tattooed electronics

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Tattooed electronics

Postby ENKI-][ » February 12th, 2011, 8:20 pm

We have conductive dyes, paints, and inks, as well as nonconductive dyes/paints/inks. We could probably produce semiconductive dyes/paints/inks (though in admittedly extremely high tolerances). It should be possible to tattoo circuit traces (and in some cases, discrete components) onto flesh. Mind you, the conductivity would degrade with time and with growth, just as tattoos warp as skin becomes less elastic or dramatic weight change occurs.

Is it actually feasible to generate inks for existing tattoo equipment with known conductivity within low enough tolerances to tattoo working single layer circuit traces onto flesh? Furthermore, is it feasible to make these dyes lose transparency at roughly the same rate that they lose conductivity?

And, for the kicker -- what about doing the same with semiconductive and electroluminescent dyes?

Note that all of these things would have to work with voltages and currents that won't fry flesh (and preferably won't cause acute discomfort).

I imagine that this kind of project, barring the emergence of another Lepht Anonym, would remain a gedankenexperiment until a fairly late stage of development. Nobody much likes subcutaneous injections of funny chemical compounds not approved by your friendly neighbourhood government agency/drug dealer, especially when such compounds leave marks that remain visible until burned off by a cutting laser.
ENKI-][

Re: Tattooed electronics

Postby zool » February 12th, 2011, 11:08 pm

doubt you could use electroluminescent cause that requires highvoltage

you could possibly implant components and have circuits inside. there are tattoo inks with conductive metal

the main problem i see though is where and how would you add a battery
you probably wouldn't want to implant it and if you don't then you'd need prods or something coming out of the skin
may be possible through induction but then you'd have to implant the coil and also wear something with the other coil over it anyway

overall, not very practical
zool

Postby jim » February 13th, 2011, 2:59 pm

I guess the battery would hang of your ear and the ink would snake off wherever :3 Maybe have a head covered in LEDs.
jim

Postby ENKI-][ » February 15th, 2011, 2:51 pm

zool wrote:may be possible through induction but then you'd have to implant the coil and also wear something with the other coil over it anyway

What about tattooing the coils?

overall, not very practical

I'd have to agree :mrgreen:
ENKI-][

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit