Retrofitting Motorola flight headset for computer gaming.

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Retrofitting Motorola flight headset for computer gaming.

Postby mixadj » July 31st, 2012, 9:34 pm

I apologize for anything wrong with this post ahead of time. This is my first time posting on the HAD forums

I was looking at gaming headsets today and came across this
http://store.razerzone.com/store/razeru ... d.35096300

I like the ruggedness but the price is a little over the top. I have access to an old Motorola flight headset used on military freight aircraft. I do not have a model # or specifications for them at this time but I should by next Friday. I wanted to retrofit the headset with a new set of drivers and appropriate plugs for use with my computer. If possible I would also replace the Mic on the end of the boom. I would like to ask those on the HAD forums what kind of aftermarket drivers do you suggest for good sound quality, and what kind of microphone I should put in the boom for use with a standard computer sound card?

I would like to say thank you in advance for any replies I get. I will update this thread as soon as I get more information on the headset.
mixadj

Re: Retrofitting Motorola flight headset for computer gaming

Postby Retroplayer » September 16th, 2012, 10:25 am

Why would you want to replace the driver and microphone? Being military grade, they are probably the best you can get without shelling out a ton of money. The only reason I could think of to replace the driver is if they are tuned to voice frequencies only (or I guess if you are shooting for stereo.) The mic is probably not compatible directly. Most likely a condensor mic.

Working for a military manufacturer that creates cockpit voice recorders, I can safely say that the connections are compatible with XLR. They are balanced (high side, low side, and ground.)

Better to build an interface box and not mess with the headset itself. To do that, of course, you need the specs of the headset.

BTW, you can buy XLR interfaces for a computer sound card.

Here's some info:
http://www.directproaudio.com/shop/acce ... d-card.cfm
Retroplayer

Re: Retrofitting Motorola flight headset for computer gaming

Postby NeilRG » August 9th, 2015, 8:54 am

The primary concern with military type headsets is that they might have sophisticated noise cancelling circuitry and be far more complex than something that can be brought out on an XLR connector, I was presented with a helmet based headset with microphone that was just such an arrangement. It will take a fair bit of work to hack this.

Good luck.
NeilRG

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit