Google Pirate

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Google Pirate

Postby Drake » February 10th, 2011, 12:36 pm

So an idea I had whilst sitting on my couch updating my aircrack-ng suite . . .

I know that this would be illegal to do to someone without permission but for all intensive purposes pretend that we do have permission. . .

Why don't we outfit a car with a few(N) computers. N-1 computers will have automated scripts to collect and crack wireless networks and the last computer logging the keys with gps data? Everything could then be uploaded to something similar to google maps.

The result - a listing and map of all wireless networks that were cracked in an area!

You wouldn't be able to just drive and do this but if you were parked in an area for a while then it shouldn't be a problem.
Drake

Re: Google Pirate

Postby ENKI-][ » February 10th, 2011, 4:05 pm

I wrote up a similar idea involving blimps.
So, I posted earlier about the idea of an autonomous areal seedbox on a blimp. This may not be precisely what is being done in that news article, but if it isn't, it SHOULD BE. We have the technology, etc. So, I'm posting up some notes on how I'd suggest doing it.

First off: the computer. I recommend a Gumstix Overo Fire COM, since it's tiny and has built in wifi. Problem is you need to probably have a massive SD card or find a way to hook an SD slot up to some larger storage medium.

The specs are as follows:

power consumption: 250mA 4v @400MHz (not counting wifi)

weight: 42.6g (including carrying case, whatever you make of that. It's 5.6g without the case and the two antennae)

size: 17mm x 58mm x 4.2mm (without the antennas or the case)

price: $219

This means that you could probably blow $300 on this guy, a battery pack, and a cheap mylar balloon and let it fly. You probably wouldn't get it back (ever), so it's a good idea to add a GPS receiver and get it to email you its location every n ticks. This way, it doesn't actually need to be controlled. However, you might want to have a fan or something on it anyway (along with an altimeter) so that you can make sure it's not much more than 300 feet above ground level at any given time. That, along with a much bigger SD card for seeding larger torrents (like, say, the complete geocities archive, or the leaked video of iraqi civilians being fired upon), might bring the price up to $400. You can probably get more bang for your buck if you cover the balloon in solar panels to try to recoup some charge on the battery (meaning you could also go with a slightly smaller battery). You can save more power by going into sleep mode for n minutes if a wifi signal isn't found.
ENKI-][

Postby MS3FGX » February 10th, 2011, 6:16 pm

You would have to drive pretty slow...even if you assume only one minute to crack each AP; you will be out of the AP's radius in only a few seconds if the car is moving at any kind of speed. You have to consider that the car probably won't be picking up a terribly strong signal in the first place, since the AP is going to be inside of a building that is some distance back from the street. I suppose in that regard, a balloon would make more sense (but then, not a very high-flying balloon either).

Though I can't imagine any legitimate reasoning behind such a project. Surely the only thing worse than breaking into somebody else's network is publishing a map of where you did it and how.
MS3FGX

Postby ENKI-][ » February 11th, 2011, 11:09 am

One can set up the balloon with an analog altimeter and a fan, and do a feedback circuit to keep the balloon at a certain distance from sea level but not drive it in any other way. Then, horizontal movement is purely a factor of wind -- so the balloon will move very fast during a windstorm but hang out in more or less the same place when it's calm.

Unfortunately, the expected placement of houses is not a function of height above sea level. In fact, if we calculated optimal altitude from sea level (wifi is supposed to go a max of about 300 feet) we'd probably be riding low on the ground in many cities, if not literally crashing into the earth.

Perhaps sonar would be a better solution? Ping at an angle around the perimeter of the blimp and try to keep the shortest ping within a given range.
ENKI-][

Postby Drake » February 11th, 2011, 10:20 pm

MS3FGX wrote:You would have to drive pretty slow...even if you assume only one minute to crack each AP; you will be out of the AP's radius in only a few seconds if the car is moving at any kind of speed. You have to consider that the car probably won't be picking up a terribly strong signal in the first place, since the AP is going to be inside of a building that is some distance back from the street. I suppose in that regard, a balloon would make more sense (but then, not a very high-flying balloon either).

I was hoping that it would be used whilst a vehicle was stopped eg in a parking space whilst in the city.

MS3FGX wrote:Though I can't imagine any legitimate reasoning behind such a project. Surely the only thing worse than breaking into somebody else's network is publishing a map of where you did it and how.

Well I could see a few things worse like spray painting the wep key on the side of a building.

if you have a map of all the co-ordinates as well as wep keys it makes home-built UAVs interesting. They can be programmed to circle an access point to download instructions or hop from point to point.

Hell someone could set up a UAV to go pirate music from different access points.

The real question comes into play. Why not?
Drake

Postby ENKI-][ » February 11th, 2011, 10:29 pm

If the UAVs have multiple radios, they could potentially bridge two cracked APs together (or simply use both to maximize bandwidth). It might also be possible to run a TOR exit node on such a UAV, meaning even better safety for TOR users (at the expense, possibly, of legality -- if you build such things make sure they aren't traceable to you :D )
ENKI-][

Postby wellernumber7 » February 13th, 2011, 6:46 am

The problem with blimps is that most wifi access points will have antennas that are vertical - that is, they broadcast well to a wide area but not very high.
wellernumber7

Postby ENKI-][ » February 15th, 2011, 2:53 pm

That's a good point. I was thinking of the range as a hemisphere, but it's more squashed.
ENKI-][

Postby MS3FGX » February 15th, 2011, 3:09 pm

ENKI-][ wrote:Unfortunately, the expected placement of houses is not a function of height above sea level. In fact, if we calculated optimal altitude from sea level (wifi is supposed to go a max of about 300 feet) we'd probably be riding low on the ground in many cities, if not literally crashing into the earth.

Surely, this is one of the most fundamental concepts in UAV design. There are many places in the world where the ground is thousands of feet above sea level, so you need to take into account distance from the ground to the aircraft. It isn't enough to simply offset the sea level altitude either, as then your UAV could still crash head long into an object higher than your adjusted altitude reading. In fact, I remember reading about a very advanced UAV build that was destroyed that way: the craft flew directly into a mountain because the software was only setup to offset the altimeter by the average above sea-level for the area it was flying in, rather than sensing it's actual altitude above the surface.

As for the cross-section of a WiFi AP; the best way to think of it would probably be like a doughnut, with the antenna itself in the center. Signal is radiated outwards horizontally, with very little to the vertical. It is the same reason why, if you have ever looked into high altitude balloons, cellular technology doesn't work past a certain height.

Of course, this doesn't mean you couldn't detect WiFi APs running below an aircraft ~100 feet in the air with a sensitive enough radio and a direction antenna pointing straight down. But it would probably throw a wrench in any attempt to actually connect to one and download instructions/data.
MS3FGX

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit