N64 Hard drive

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

N64 Hard drive

Postby Evotistical » February 7th, 2011, 1:55 pm

I know there is lots of old expensive solutions for playing your n64 backups(http://n64.icequake.net/), but there is no modern solution to just hook up a hard drive to a blank cart and play away, without having to break out the massive mount of carts.

N64 emulation has come a long way, but has fell on its face and is no longer supported. Way less than half of the games even work, never mind the random bugs and glitches. Thoughts on how this can be achieved?

Other thoughts:
about 95% of nes/snes games work perfectly on emulation
gamecube and wii are 100% working when using WODE on Wii
So why is the N64 so neglected?
Evotistical

Re: N64 Hard drive

Postby MS3FGX » February 7th, 2011, 3:07 pm

If I had to guess, I would say that if only 1/2 of the N64s library works in emulators it is probably because only 1/8 of the N64's library is worth playing. There are about a dozen N64 games that anyone actually cares about, and if those are working then the vast majority of users will be more than satisfied. N64 emulation is considerably more difficult than something like the NES; if you factor in the time it takes to make sure a particular game works 100%, it becomes clear why the emulator developers focus on the big-name titles first (and perhaps, only).

That said, it would be an interesting project to interface a HDD with the N64 to load game images. Certainly it's possible, as that site shows there were a few commercial solutions that did much the same thing.
MS3FGX

Postby Evotistical » February 7th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Yea but even the fail games are pretty fun for the n64. I really liked bio-freaks, but there is no real good emulation for that game. There is also alot of bugs with emulation on the so-called 100% compatible games.
Evotistical

Postby Grazfather » February 8th, 2011, 1:21 pm

That would be sweet, and I am actually interested in emulator writing, and I understand how they work in theory, I'm not experienced enough to actually contribute to the project. If you're complaining, maybe you should contribute yourself :)
Grazfather

Postby Avalableusername » February 9th, 2011, 9:31 am

Thats quite a tall order trying to add a hard drive to a n64. I would find a old game cartridge and see if i cant build a circuit so the storage is a removable flash drive instead the integrated chip.
Avalableusername

Postby wellernumber7 » February 9th, 2011, 1:59 pm

wellernumber7

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit