WIFI Power Adapater

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

WIFI Power Adapater

Postby nayrsllew » February 5th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Hey everyone -- I'm not a electronic wizard like many of you here, but I would love to be able to get/buy/have someone make a power adapter which receives a WIFI signal which can turn the power on/off.

Basically an internet-enabled power point via an adapter which plugs into an existing power socket. This would enable to power to be turned on/off remotely.

Does anyone know if I can buy one? Or can it be made?

Thanks!
nayrsllew

Re: WIFI Power Adapater

Postby MS3FGX » February 5th, 2011, 5:21 pm

If you want WiFi, I can only assume you want to be able to control this device via the Internet? Through a web-interface or something similar? I imagine there are home automation products that would do this for you, but probably at considerable cost. If you don't mind it being connected to a computer, there are projects (I am pretty sure HaD has featured at least one of them) to control an outlet with a computer.

On the other hand, if you don't necessarily want to control it over the Internet, and just want to turn the thing on and off from anywhere in the house, there are plenty of products on the market now that will do that.
MS3FGX

Re: WIFI Power Adapater

Postby pogyhauler » February 6th, 2011, 3:38 am

Unless you're already invested in a Wifi network,
Or you have a real distance challenge,
I'd strongly suggest you consider almost any other medium or protocol.
Wifi, at it's usual defaults is relativley strong as local RF goes.
Wifi sucks power, and can make other stuff like cordless phones get wierd.
And it's lot of pieces to assemble. tranceiver>controller>relay, with a transfromer to pull +5DC so everbody can stll listen for the /ON after the /OFF.

Nothing wrong with the tried and true X10 stuff. (Kinda bulky)
Wireline isn't cheap or fast but it is (almost) plug'nplay. some of the newer modules might have managed passthrough sockets.
If your dead commited to a DIY RF tranciever,
Zigbee is quite, cheap, fast enough, and incredibly reliable. handles multipoint.
Bluetooth, is universal and cheap.
if your not yearning for RF, IR is even cheaper than that.
pogyhauler

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit