Keurig Elite Mods?

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Keurig Elite Mods?

Postby danman1453 » October 25th, 2011, 6:45 am

I recently obtained a "spare" keurig elite coffee maker through their warranty service. They instruct you to throw the old unit away and send the k-cup holder back as proof of ownership. Seeing as how I am getting a brand new unit for free, does anybody have any ideas on these units?

http://cdn.crackberry.com/files/u427139 ... -200px.jpg

I plan on posting pics of a teardown. Any special requests?
danman1453

Re: Keurig Elite Mods?

Postby leadacid » October 26th, 2011, 12:06 pm

Well, first of all, good luck with the tear down. It took me the better part of an afternoon to get mine down to the guts. Second, you're gonna need a screwdriver with a 9-12" shaft and a set of Torx bits because of the goofy way they put them together. Finally, they use some really strong plastic clips that I ended up breaking to hold the top cover to the body of the unit. Since it was broken to begin with I wasn't too upset.

Now, that said, please do post a good, detailed, picture log of the tear down. I thought about doing it when I did mine, but I couldn't find a good enough light source. Instructions on tear down are few and far between online.

Mine has some dead control circuits, but everything else seems to work. I intend to be ridiculous with mine and control it via an Allen-Bradley SLC500 1747-L40A PLC, just to see if I can.

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/1276 ... 8/2170841/
leadacid

Postby danman1453 » October 26th, 2011, 9:03 pm

As far as lighting goes, it will be a combination of LED maglite, overhead florescent, and canon on-board flash. The teardown sounds entertaining. Most likely a multi-day excursion. Good to know I'm not the first to think of this. Mine still works, it just came without the screen filter for the water tank. Due to the missing screen, something got in there and it now dumps half the water back in the resevoir, and the other half actually into the cup.

Should be interesting...
danman1453

Postby danman1453 » October 27th, 2011, 9:46 am

Reporting from day one of the teardown. This is ridiculous. I got it away from the protective shell without too much issue. This thing was built with absolutely no intentions of ever taking it back apart. No wonder they told me to just throw the old one away. I haven't a clue of what I am looking at as far as the 7 miles of silicone tubing running through this machine. Some neat reusable components though. A small pump, powered by DC motor. A heating tank, with convenient clear top.

Pictures are coming.

If anybody would like this brewer to 'mod' to their liking, speak up. I wont charge anything more than shipping. It will go back together with a little finessing. Nothing is broken 'yet' as far as putting it back together. I think the partial brewing cycles (what prompted the warranty claim), is due to a plugged or partially plugged filter. I will point the filter in question out in the upcoming pics.
danman1453

Postby danman1453 » October 29th, 2011, 7:23 am

Well, it appears somebody has already gone through the trouble of dis-assembly...
http://www.singleservecoffeeforums.com/ ... t8124.html

Here is a schematic of the tubing I just put together:

The first unlabeled block after the pump, kinda looks like an in-line filter of sorts. Or maybe a valve to prevent back-flow.
The valves labeled 12v are just metal cans. Just a guess. Maybe pressure switches?

Here are the pictures I promised of the unit's guts.
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd383/danman1453/
danman1453

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit