Wii U tablet -- Possible to mod as a wired device?

Did you see a new gadget or toy and start brimming with ideas? See something that has tons of potential? Discuss these thoughts here.

Re: Wii U tablet -- Possible to mod as a wired device?

Postby jopl12 » November 15th, 2012, 1:26 am

Ah, no problems! If anyone here knows anyone that I can get in to contact with, I'd really appreciate it.

And yes, on it being the "mysterious" port, I knew that much. But before you were able to tell that the previous port wouldn't be able to transfer data. just by looking at it. I was wondering if you could speculate at all on whether or not this new mysterious port perhaps would be any different? Since it's designed for potential accessories (which would have to communicate with the controller itself), I'd think that it would open some possibilities, if you could get a USB cord with the proper connector on the other end.
jopl12

Postby UAirLtd » November 15th, 2012, 4:42 am

Well, I would speculate that it would be really unlikely you can use that interface to replace all the data that would go over WiFi. It's not as simple as "find a cable with the right plug on the end".
UAirLtd

Postby jopl12 » November 21st, 2012, 3:49 am

Okay! So now that this teardown has happened (http://hackaday.com/2012/11/19/tearing-down-the-wii-u/) do we have any further indication as to the possibility of this mod? Appreciate any further help :)
jopl12

Postby UAirLtd » November 21st, 2012, 9:26 am

only enough to say that there aren't any super-secret debug ports hanging around inside there. This is a little out of my area, but looks like you can either intercept the WiFi antenna, or intercept the signals going to the WiFi module, and since that WiFi module appears to be a custom designed one, you probably couldn't do that either.

I think my idea of pulling out the WiFi antenna lines to a coax line down into a shielded box would work best.
UAirLtd

Previous

Return to The new gadget brainstorm pit