Reinitializing LXTerminal without Rebooting

Stuck with a problem in your code? Seek help here.

Reinitializing LXTerminal without Rebooting

Postby evansste » July 2nd, 2017, 10:44 am

I'm using Lubuntu and have noticed that LXTerminal becomes unstable from time to time. For instance, sometimes I'll try to open LXTerminal, but will get a blank screen. The fix, for such instability, has always been to simply reboot the computer. But is there any way to reinitialize LXTerminal, without actually rebooting the system? In other words, can I get LXTerminal to think I rebooted, and start things fresh, without actually rebooting?

If anyone knows of a way to do this, that'd be awesome. I currently have a computer, which is networked to other computers. The computers are constantly communicating with each other. LXTerminal has stopped working correctly, and I want to be able to fix it without rebooting the machine. If I reboot the machine, a domino effect of problems will happen when the other computers try to communicate and realize that the computer is not on. So if there's a way to reinitialize LXTerminal,without rebooting, that'd be a huge lifesaver.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions that anyone may be willing to give.
evansste

Re: Reinitializing LXTerminal without Rebooting

Postby asheets » July 3rd, 2017, 4:43 pm

We'll need version numbers for LXterminal, Lubuntu, and the kernel.
asheets

Postby evansste » July 4th, 2017, 6:36 am

The LXterminal version is 0.1.11. I'm running Lubuntu 14.04.3 LTS, and the kernel version is 3.19.0-25-generic.

Thanks.
evansste

Postby asheets » July 4th, 2017, 9:08 am

You're at least a major version behind in all categories. I'd recommend taking a backup of your system, then upgrading to current.
asheets

Postby evansste » July 4th, 2017, 10:38 am

Thanks, asheets.
evansste

Postby bandersnatch » July 9th, 2017, 3:26 am

Hi,

Do you still want help with this, or is everything now ok??

STFB.
bandersnatch

Postby evansste » July 9th, 2017, 5:57 am

Hello bandersnatch.

Technically, I never did find out how to reinitialize LXterminal without rebooting. However, I did re-write a few of my programs so that they would open LXterminal a lot less often, which ultimately made the entire situation more stable.

asheets is right that my programs are running on older versions of Lubuntu and LXterminal, so an upgrade may have helped too. However, my programs were originally written in such a way that forced them to open and close LXterminal, over and over again. After so many times, LXterminal would just stop working. The only way for me to fix it was to reboot the computer, which was impractical. Now that LXterminal stays open, rather than being open and closed all of the time, I haven't run into issues with instability. So basically, I was able to find a workaround.

If you happen to already know how to reinitialize LXterminal, without rebooting the computer, I'm still curious to know how to do it. However, it's far less necessary now, since the workaround appears to be working.

In any case, thanks for asking, and for your willingness to help.
evansste

Postby asheets » July 10th, 2017, 3:04 pm

A clue!

I bet you have a memory leak and/or are using up all your swap space. I'd bet that LXterminal is leaving stuff open after each "close" and that it is using up some portion of your memory.

Try this the next time this happens -- open up a simple or remote console and grab the output of the following:

Code: Select all
$ top
$ ps -ef|grep -i lxterminal

That may tell us something interesting...

evansste wrote:<snip> However, my programs were originally written in such a way that forced them to open and close LXterminal, over and over again. After so many times, LXterminal would just stop working. The only way for me to fix it was to reboot the computer, which was impractical. Now that LXterminal stays open, rather than being open and closed all of the time, I haven't run into issues with instability. So basically, I was able to find a workaround.<snip>
asheets

Postby evansste » July 12th, 2017, 7:07 pm

Thanks, asheets.

You've got me curious as to whether or not that's the problem. Because my changes now prevent the terminal windows from closing, it may not be likely that I'll see a natural failure again. However, I just wrote a short program which is very similar to what my other program used to do. I'll let it run for a while and see if the LXterminal eventually goes blank and stops working. Normally, it would happen in less than 24 hours. I'll leave it running all night. If it begins to fail, I'll try your tip and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.
evansste

Postby evansste » July 13th, 2017, 8:20 am

After running the short program overnight, LXterminal stopped working, as expected. I ran the suggested commands which asheets gave, and have attached window shots of the corresponding outputs. The first attachment shows the result after typing "ps -ef|grep -i lxterminal". The second attachment shows the result after typing "top", in a second window.

I performed the "top" command first, and then the "ps -ef|grep -i lxterminal" command.
Attachments
window2.png
This is after typing "ps -ef|grep -i lxterminal".
window1.png
This is after typing "top".
evansste

Next

Return to Help Me! Software