Bypassing a Toshiba MK6015MAP HDD password

Stuck with a problem in your code? Seek help here.

Bypassing a Toshiba MK6015MAP HDD password

Postby Atoss » May 31st, 2017, 4:50 pm

A short while ago I bought an old Siemens laptop, model Scenic Mobile 510. For 8 euros. In working order no less. The only problem is that the HDD has a password (seemingly both user and master). Sure, I could wipe the password along with the data, but interesting software can sometimes lie in such forgotten PCs, so I'd rather take a peek before it's gone. So far, I tried accessing the contents from HBCD's Mini Windows XP (no luck, the drive shows up only in Device Manager, which claims it contains no volumes) and disabling the password request with ATAPWD (rejected the default master password of 32 spaces, likely means that the master password is not default either).

So far, I've found this article on how to access the passwords stored on HPA, but it seems that in drives of other manufacture than WD, the passwords might be stored in a different...offset? Is that the right term? Anyhow, even if I dumped the HPA as in that article, I wouldn't know where to look for the passwords.

The HDD in question is a Toshiba MK6015MAP. All attempts so far have been made using a different laptop, as the Siemens refuse to boot from anything else with the HDD installed.
Can anyone advise?
Atoss

Re: Bypassing a Toshiba MK6015MAP HDD password

Postby evansste » July 2nd, 2017, 12:27 pm

Why not take out the hard drive, and set it up as an extended hard drive in a computer that you already own? That way, you could look at the contents before wiping the drive. That's what I would do, anyway.

I own a USB hard drive cable that is perfect for this sort of thing. I bought mine at a local computer store for $40, years ago. It's been worth every penny. However, I just checked, and Amazon is selling them for less than $15.

https://www.amazon.com/SATA-Adapter-Con ... +USB+cable

I just looked at a picture of that hard drive, and from what I can tell, that cable would have no problem viewing its contents.
evansste

Re: Bypassing a Toshiba MK6015MAP HDD password

Postby evansste » July 2nd, 2017, 1:20 pm

My mistake. You're talking about a password that locks the actual drive, not just the operating system.

I've never encountered such a drive, and didn't even know that they exist, until now. I'm sorry that I can't help. Good luck with this one.
evansste

Return to Help Me! Software