Octave on a Raspberry Pi

Stuck with a problem in your code? Seek help here.

Octave on a Raspberry Pi

Postby evansste » February 20th, 2017, 10:03 pm

I've installed Octave on different Linux distributions. Installation is normally easy. "sudo apt-get install octave", normally does the trick. However, I've noticed that some installations install without the capability of using the imread() function without errors. It's the common error which says "warning: your version of GraphicsMagick limits images to 8 bits per pixel". The solution is to build both GraphicsMagick and Octave from source -- not as easy as it sounds without running into all sorts of errors and taking forever on a Raspberry Pi.

So here's my question. Why is it that when running "sudo apt-get install octave", sometimes a correct version will be installed automatically (one which allows imread() to work properly with GraphicsMagick supporting 16 bits per pixel), but other times, it installs with the 8-bit version of GraphicsMagick, which doesn't allow imread() to work? If the "sudo apt-get install octave" command downloads and installs the most recent, pre-compiled version, shouldn't it always install a version which allows the imread() function to work? Why does it work on some Linux distributions, but not all?

I currently have PIXEL installed on my Raspberry Pi. With that OS, imread doesn't work in Octave. However, when I had Ubuntu Mate installed on the Pi, "sudo apt-get install octave", installed a version of Octave which allowed imread to work.

I'm trying to avoid building Octave from source, since I haven't had much success with that. But at the same time, I don't want to go back to Ubuntu Mate, since it seemed to be a bit unstable on the Raspberry Pi. Is there any way to install a pre-compiled version of Octave on PIXEL which allows a working imread function? I'm confused as to why the same command works properly on one OS, but not the other.

If anyone knows why the same command would produce different results, I'd like to hear your explanation. Also, if you have a suggestion as to how I could install the same working version (which worked on Ubuntu Mate), on PIXEL, I'd like to hear about that too.

Thanks for your time, and for any input which anyone is willing/able to give.
evansste

Re: Octave on a Raspberry Pi

Postby asheets » February 21st, 2017, 2:59 pm

Different operating systems have different installation repositories configured on them, which may yield different installation results.
asheets

Re: Octave on a Raspberry Pi

Postby evansste » February 21st, 2017, 9:25 pm

Thanks, asheets. It's very educational to now know that the "apt-get install" command is installing from the repository. I thought it was downloading the latest version from the designer's website. This is good to know.

I'm trying to install from source again, and I've also done some searching for other non-Debian operating systems for the Raspberry Pi. If worse comes to worst, I'll go back to Ubuntu Mate.

Thanks for your insight.
evansste

Return to Help Me! Software