Remote computer access via WiFi

Stuck with a problem in your code? Seek help here.

Re: Remote computer access via WiFi

Postby st2000 » January 26th, 2015, 7:06 pm

I'm not going to lie, I didn't read everything you wrote :). The phone company owns (this in the U.S.??) everything up to the POP (point of presence) box. On a residence that is usually out side next to your other utilities.

As far as MaBell service - it should have been DLS (digital subscriber loop). So my question is - what's the MaBell guy out there for?? Don't you already have a phone line into your office space??

Last - since you are having so much trouble - and since you really are never at the office - have you considered co-locating your equipment at a local internet provider??? It's been done. I don't know how wide spread it is where you are at though.

Last - and I think I mentioned this before - you could probably find some internet provider that would rent you a virtual Windows machine to run your program on. What some internet providers do is run a fast computer that runs many instances of Windows inside of it. You would be on your own computer as far as you are concerned.

-good luck
st2000

Postby evansste » January 26th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Yes, I'm in the U.S. I wanted DSL, but AT&T told me that it would be a lot more expensive than getting U-Verse. Because I would be getting U-Verse, they said that they would not only install a modem, but that they would have to do some sort of configuration with the phone lines. That's why they said they'd have to send someone to install it.

When I first moved into the suite, about six months ago, I noticed that the room had a phone jack with no dial tone. The (then) manager told me that if I wanted phone service, I would have to contact the phone company directly. Apparently, someone who rented the room before me had service, and it was shut off when he left. The building has since come under new management, who now seems opposed to me getting service without somehow paying for it through them.

When the guy came out, he was able to find the box that he was looking for. It was inside the building next to a circuit breaker inside someone else's suite. He wouldn't have been able to gain access to the box without getting the keys, from the manager, to enter the suite. It's an old building and the owner took the liberty of splitting one big room into a bunch of little rooms and renting them out separately. That's why the box is located inside one of the smaller suites -- unfortunatly it wasn't inside mine. The installer said that if they did hook it up, it would be service that any of the other smaller rooms would also be able to use.

I'm usually at the office. However, when I have to leave, I usually have to leave for weeks at a time.

Ever since I got the USB modem to be able to run as 3G, instead of it simply shutting down when 4G failed, the computer seems to be doing okay. I wish I would have figured it out long before leaving town, but I only set it up the day before leaving. So if it fails now, there won't be much that I can do until I go back. But if it lasts for the entire time that I'm gone, I think it'll be evidence that this is a working solution.

Thanks again for your help, st2000. You've been very patient.
evansste

Postby asheets » January 28th, 2015, 12:59 pm

evansste wrote:
I had finally decided to call AT&T and have them install U-Verse in my office space. <snip>.

What is the AT&T U-verse product? Is it cable or DSL? I can see the building management not wanting to allow stringing of new coax from the demarc, but if it is ADSL, it could be run on an existing 2-wire fax/phone DID line (that is, not going through the building's PBX, if it exists).
asheets

Postby asheets » January 28th, 2015, 1:09 pm

st2000 wrote:I'm not going to lie, I didn't read everything you wrote :). <snip>

Last - since you are having so much trouble - and since you really are never at the office - have you considered co-locating your equipment at a local internet provider??? It's been done. I don't know how wide spread it is where you are at though.

Last - and I think I mentioned this before - you could probably find some internet provider that would rent you a virtual Windows machine to run your program on. What some internet providers do is run a fast computer that runs many instances of Windows inside of it. You would be on your own computer as far as you are concerned.

Colocation is by far the best solution. Oodles of bandwidth for the primary channel, a backchannel for emergency management or the iLo, another backchannel for remote powercycling, and a live human to call if something really bad happens. Savvis, ATT, NTT/Verio, Century Link, Verizon, and Sprint are the major colo providers these days, and it seems that every little ISP will rent you a few U's of space pretty cheap.

Or, as st2000 says, a virtual box at, say, Amazon Web Services would be pretty cheap.
asheets

Postby evansste » January 28th, 2015, 10:36 pm

Thanks for your response asheets.

AT&T is determined not to call U-Verse DSL. They make it seem as if it's some new technology that is separate from DSL. However, I believe that the device would connect via the phone line, since the existence of the phone line is all that was talked about, and all that the guy looked at. So I'm pretty sure that it isn't cable.

I'm going to have to look into the virtual box that you and st2000 are talking about.

I never dreamed that I'd have so much trouble getting a simple, reliable internet connection. I thought I had finally gotten the USB modem to be reliable, but have found out today that something has failed. Once again, I'm not physically present with the computer, so I don't completely know for sure what has happened.

Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions. I always appreciate any insight that anyone is willing to contribute.
evansste

Previous

Return to Help Me! Software