Does anyone know how to copy protect USB?

Stuck with a problem in your code? Seek help here.

Does anyone know how to copy protect USB?

Postby wolfeye » April 16th, 2014, 4:03 am

I am looking for a solution to prevent files and videos on USB flash drive being copies and pasted either via right click or drag and drop copy to other device that is hookup to it like a PC or laptop?
This solution must allow users to view and open or print files and videos already on USB drive but prevent them copy to their own devices.

Any reply will be obliged!
wolfeye

Re: Does anyone know how to copy protect USB?

Postby st2000 » April 17th, 2014, 11:49 am

If you can see the file - you already have a copy of it.

Essentially you sound like you want to walk the fine line that Netflix or other pay-for-streaming-services attempt to walk. Not easy. And nearly impossible once you have placed a physical device with your media (or what ever is on your USB mass storage device) in someone's hand.

For example, one could simply do a "dd" command and make a copy. It doesn't matter what is on the mass storage device. All that really matters is that the mass storage device you copy to is at least as large.

The only thing I can think of that comes close to what you want to do was something called divix (spelling?) where you get a physical DVD that only plays back for so many hours on your divix DVD player. After that the player remembers it can not play back that DVD anymore. So a movie can be sold to you for say $6 instead of $20. There's no point in copying the DVD as the movie is encrypted and will present its self in the same way to the player which will consequently remember not play it.
st2000

Postby mcphee » April 22nd, 2014, 1:43 am

Hi wolfeye,
According to your requirements, I find this for you: http://www.kakasoft.com/usb-copy-protect/
This software can help you copy protect files on USB flash drives on Win 7/Win 8/Vista.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the wrong link. Correct it, hope it helps.
Last edited by mcphee on April 25th, 2014, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcphee

Postby st2000 » April 22nd, 2014, 8:25 am

@mcphee, a quick look at your web page and I don't see how this could protect @wolfeye. It sounds as if no one will be able to read his thumb drive until he gives them the password. That's not what he wants. He wants them to read the thumb drive. But once he gives them the password - they are free to copy all his media.

BTW here's an article on the subject:
http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Encrypt_Your_Thumb_Drive

The only reasonable solution I can even think of (and the whole thumb drive is still vulnerable to the Unix dd command) is to only allow media decoding through your own custom application. That means all the custom media play back applications will have to be source from the thumb drive as well. You can't use any normal application that can also save a decoded copy of your media! This is essentially how streaming services like Netflicks work.
st2000

Postby br1ckd » June 5th, 2014, 1:32 pm

I know this thread is kind of old, but DRM (aka copy-protection) is usually more trouble than it's worth. There might be a program that you can buy that will be able to stop most people (ie. anyone who wouldn't be able to figure out what program you used and then google for ways to defeat it), but as long as they can watch the video it will technically be possible to copy it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_hole
br1ckd

Postby hesterl » October 20th, 2014, 3:13 am

It can help you: http://download.cnet.com/USB-Copy-Prote ... 86515.html

It can prevent files and videos on USB flash drive being copies and pasted either via right click or drag and drop copy to other device that is hookup to it like a PC or laptop.
hesterl

Postby k-ww » October 20th, 2014, 9:33 am

There is no practical way. I would be wary of running any custom software recommended (like the prior post), unless I ran it thru a good virus checker first. Any data that has to be played thru a computer can be copied. For.video perhaps, a 'water mark' across the entire movie, moving as the movie is played, would at least let the end viewer know it was from you.
k-ww

Postby kevin_0119 » July 27th, 2015, 8:18 pm

Hi Wolfeye,

This is Kevin from Shenzhen Cloudriver Information Technology Co., Ltd--- has extensive expertise in protecting digital information from copying, hacking and unauthorized use. we have been successfully developing our FYEO Copy protection USB Flash drive to provide copyright and intellectual property protection worldwide.

We produce the FYEO USB Copy Protection which is the first UFD used for retail in the world. It can prevent files and videos on USB flash drive being copies and pasted either via right click or drag and drop copy to other device that is hookup to it like a PC or laptop. Meanwhile,FYEO copy protection security solution apply to publishing, consulting, business information security,electronic documents protection,protection of educational software and e-learning materials, digital distribution of software and games protection, Audio/video files protection etc.

If you are interested, please visit our website www.ecloudriver.com/en to get more information there.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us, if you need our products.
kevin_0119

Postby drdodle » October 9th, 2015, 8:55 am

Hi Wolfeye,

As it's 1 year ago you asked this you might not see it, but other users might see this answer and use it. :mrgreen:

st2000 had some good points like:
st2000 wrote:The only reasonable solution I can even think of (and the whole thumb drive is still vulnerable to the Unix dd command) is to only allow media decoding through your own custom application. That means all the custom media play back applications will have to be source from the thumb drive as well. You can't use any normal application that can also save a decoded copy of your media! This is essentially how streaming services like Netflicks work.

Link Data Security offers a service that is close to what netflix does. They encrypt the files on the USB device, then open the files through their own viewer/player to maximize the protection. This will also solve the attacks with the Unix dd command as it would copy encrypted data which is only playable while the USB is physicaly in the computer.

A link to their USB solution: http://www.linkdata.com/protection-products/cd-dvd-usb-copy-protection/usbcops.htm
drdodle

Return to Help Me! Software