Opening jSon and other encoded documents

Stuck with a problem in your code? Seek help here.

Opening jSon and other encoded documents

Postby Learning » October 12th, 2013, 10:06 pm

I am new to the world computers so please forgive me if i sound completely ignorant...
I and my ex-boyfriend just got our first smart phones (I know, I know...) In May, and I'm realizing just how smart they are...i believe i signed into google on his device, and now every time i go to the Play Store I'm technically using his account....I have randomly been asked if I wasn't to "sync contacts" and I believe things like "sync call logs." At first I said yes somewhat innocently, until I noticed that I had all off these email addresses that weren't mine...including one for a dominatrix!! Needless to say I did quite a bit of searching (or snooping), and now have all these zip files (I believe they're called) that I can't open...profiles, followers, pictures, videos... you name it, I've got it. Most of them I can't open because they are "not a valid PDF file" - I believe is what it tells me. I've noticed that many of these files are labeled jSon, and ive done my research and understand what this means, but my question is, how can i open such a file (I know there MUST be a way..) and other encoded files? I've wanted to believe my ex that he has done nothing wrong and that this was all innocent exploration, however I just can't seem to accept that someone would go to the lengths he has gone to cover their tracks if they had done nothing wrong. Unfortunately also, I just find out i an pregnant with his child and feel compelled to see how far the deception goes before i make any life altering decisions about having him in my life.
Please don't judge nee, I know i probably have all if the answers i need, but you would not believe how good this guy is, and I feel like I have got to get some solid evidence so that i can make the right decision.
Oh...also, one night, he was taking some pictures of me, and a box popped up on his device saying...(something like)..."error. Could not download (to server? I think...)...then there was
A code which i googled and found out was from kies air, an app he had on his phone but refused to explain what it was to me. I'm afraid my private moments may be being shared with others, and, needless to say, this really disturbs me. I found his phones information, like his IP address, and I'm not sure if that will help me, but is there any way of tracking his activity (or, I should say, my own private images)?
Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully respond if you have any knowledge or information that could help me. I really do appreciate it.
Learning

Re: Opening jSon and other encoded documents

Postby Osgeld » October 13th, 2013, 12:53 am

JSON is pretty much a comma separated value file format, and as such could open it in excel or any other spreadsheet program to help you navigate the file easier (otherwise its value,value,value,value)

but its helpful to know what those values represent, which could be just about anything
Osgeld

Postby Learning » October 13th, 2013, 1:25 am

Does that mean I need to open it on a desktop? I've only tried it on my phone...
Learning

Postby Osgeld » October 13th, 2013, 12:59 pm

its a text file so you could open it with any notepad type applciation
Osgeld

Postby Learning » October 14th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions...I think i just have one more.. :-)

I'm thinking that because my phone is telling me it can't open the files because they're not valid pdf doc's, that perhaps the security on my ex's phone is preventing me from opening the files, because i know my phone is supposed to encrypt mine so they can't be exported...because my phone should at least show me json doc's even if it can't read them, right?

Sorry if these questions are silly to you, but i am clueless and really appreciate you're help :-)
Learning

Postby Quin » October 15th, 2013, 8:37 am

If they got uploaded to google docs or dropbox or some other shared space, the 'in phone encryption' is usually disabled. The 'in phone encryption' is just meant for keeping the phone and it's content secure if the phone is stolen; like if someone took the phone and tried to open the content stored in it, the encryption code would be needed. When the phone uploaded, it has to decrypt the data to see what it is before it can be uploaded (usually, other options like gpg and truecrypt do exist).

So a pdf file that adobe can't open (move file to your computer and see) might not be a pdf file. It might be a video or mp3 or photo that just renamed to avoid obvious detection. The magic bytes at the beginning of the file might tell your computer what the filetype is, or you might have to guess or ask some more questions.

Lastly, you said he's an ex now. So change how your phone is logging in to google so you aren't getting any more data. The first bit, that was his stupid mistake for sharing login info and not expecting sync information to sync to all phones. But now you need to take responsibility. Do what you want with the data you have, but I'd feel kinda dishonest in helping decode any data more recent now that you know why you have this information and have gotten rid of the human problem and just need to get rid of the technical issue that is still sharing data with you.
Quin

Return to Help Me! Software