What's the minimum processor speed for audio processing?

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

What's the minimum processor speed for audio processing?

Postby Stryker » August 10th, 2017, 4:52 am

So I'm trying to work on a project and if I'm sampling stereo audio at 44100Hz, let's say 24-bit, how does that break down into processing power requirements?

it seems to me that a sample rate of 44100Hz = 0.0441MHz, at at 24 bits of data per sample means that something like the Arduino Uno, with an 8-bit microcontroller running at 16MHz should be more than capable of sampling analog audio input and sending it back out without any latency?

I'm trying to figure out if it's feasible to use two identical microntrollers to send audio from one to the other (either as packet data on a channel or as raw analog sampled values) but I'm stuck at the beginning, trying to figure out if that is even doable, and if so, what the minimum specs would need to be.
Stryker

Re: What's the minimum processor speed for audio processing?

Postby k-ww » August 10th, 2017, 1:12 pm

I think you're mixing different numbers here:

1) There is the speed of the A/D that is sampling the audio [and for stereo it' twice the 44100 rate],

2) the speed of the data bus [SPI or I2C] in moving data out of the A/D's to the CPU, and from the CPU into the D/A's,

3) the instruction [not clock] speed of the CPU software in processing the data, and lastly,

4) the speed of the data link between the two CPU's.

The slowest of these will determine how feasible your project is.
k-ww

Return to Help me! Hardware