Driver board for 12 volt peltier devices

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

Driver board for 12 volt peltier devices

Postby void » July 13th, 2017, 6:43 am

This is kind of a long shot, but does anyone know of any off-the-shelf boards for driving a peltier cooler. The coolers I am using obtain a peak temperature difference at 92 watts, however i will be driving them with a max of about 75 watts, at an input voltage of 12 volts. I have seen some peltier driver IC's like the MAX1968/MAX1969 but from what i can see in the documentation, they max out at 5.5 volts @ 3 amps which is not nearly enough, and even then I can't find a breakout board that has them available. I've considered using a stepper motor driver board and modifying it with a cap on the output to smooth out the pwm voltage, but I can't even find one with enough amps there either. I guess what I am really after is a beefy DAC of any kind that can put out 75 watts of power with a max voltage of at least 12, and that I can easily adjust up or down with a microcontroller. If there is nothing out there I guess I will have to make a custom PCB, but i was really hoping to avoid that if possible for this project. As a side note I am currently using 7 peltier coolers powered from a 500 watt power supply, but i may have to increase the number to 15 based on preliminary results. in which case i will jump up to a 1.1KW supply.
void

Re: Driver board for 12 volt peltier devices

Postby k-ww » July 20th, 2017, 2:28 am

Look in hackaday for power supply designs, I'm sure there's at least one that is micro controllable.
k-ww

Return to Help me! Hardware