Strange resistance conundrum

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

Strange resistance conundrum

Postby Mjolinor » June 27th, 2017, 9:31 am

I have been trying to fix a starting problem on a car. Not at all interesting one may surmise but I measured resistance -ve terminal to engine block and it was maybe half an ohm, too much I thought with no current flowing so fitted a new lead.

I now have <0.1 ohms so all is good.

If I connect the +ve terminal of the battery to it's lead on the car then I have 15 ohm or -15 ohm from -ve to engine block depending which way round the meter leads are. I tried several meters, Fluke and others and it does the same. My Fluke 25, old and reliable, reads about +-8 ohms.

I cannot get my head round this at all.

Any thoughts?
Mjolinor

Re: Strange resistance conundrum

Postby k-ww » June 27th, 2017, 9:40 am

I think you have a leakage current path thru the battery, this is giving the weird ohmage readings.

[clock in the dashboard, etc?]

Any meter measuring resistance is really measuring the voltage drop across a resistance with a small current supply,
and an injected outside voltage will screw this up.

Take a reading with your meter in the voltage mode [maximum sensitivity] between the battery - & the engine block.

Remeasure the resistance between the battery - and the engine block with the battery + lead disconnected.
k-ww

Re: Strange resistance conundrum

Postby Mjolinor » June 27th, 2017, 3:50 pm

9 mv with the battery connected. I already measured that but it really is a hell of a coincidence that it is such a sensible reading. I intend to try again tomorrow with an analogue meter (AVO) but I have to find it first, not used it for years.

I am trying to decide if it is contributing to the starting problem.
Mjolinor

Return to Help me! Hardware