Easy Blinking LED Problem

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

Re: Easy Blinking LED Problem

Postby fightclub » June 25th, 2017, 10:59 am

So i actually purchased that exact flasher this morning and it is the one i am using at the moment.

Let me see if I can get a picture uploaded for you to see.
Last edited by fightclub on June 25th, 2017, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
fightclub

Postby fightclub » June 25th, 2017, 11:22 am

The below picture shows the current setup which i feel i did wrong.

The black wire goes from the oil temp sensor to the terminal indicated as "Lamp" on the packaging. no mention of negative.

The red wire comes from the oil pressure sensor. the green wire runs all the way to the light in the dash.

I think that this wiring setup is wrong but am not sure how to proceed. Thank you in advance.

-ANGRO
flasher2.JPG
Flasher
fightclub

Postby k-ww » June 25th, 2017, 1:20 pm

That looks correct.

Check the information on the flasher carton as to how to wire it.

Which ever side goes to power should go to the bulb [green wire]

With the ignition switch on, but the motor not running, I would test the new flasher by just using the green wire to the bulb, and connecting the other side of the flasher to sheet metal ground.

It should flash.

If it doesn't, reverse the flasher connections. [If this is the case, I suspect the flasher is defective.]

If it flashes, connect the red & green wires to the terminal the green wire was connected to, and the wire from the temp sensor to the terminal that you had connected to sheet metal ground.

Operational test:

At this point [engine off, power on], the light should be on [low oil pressure].

Start engine, the oil pressure light should go out.

Short red wire to sheet metal ground [simulate high oil temp], light should flash.

If above steps are correct, remove shorting wire, drive car.

If the above doesn't work, and you are not flying in next interval [24 hrs{?}], or need to drive, have a beer, curse all thing electrical, then double check wiring.

Repeat above steps, as required.

Karl

Final thought: Does the flasher module require that it's case be grounded?
k-ww

Postby fightclub » June 25th, 2017, 1:51 pm

k-ww wrote:That looks correct.

Check the information on the flasher carton as to how to wire it.

Which ever side goes to power should go to the bulb [green wire]

With the ignition switch on, but the motor not running, I would test the new flasher by just using the green wire to the bulb, and connecting the other side of the flasher to sheet metal ground.

It should flash.

If it doesn't, reverse the flasher connections. [If this is the case, I suspect the flasher is defective.]

If it flashes, connect the red & green wires to the terminal the green wire was connected to, and the wire from the temp sensor to the terminal that you had connected to sheet metal ground.

Operational test:

At this point [engine off, power on], the light should be on [low oil pressure].

Start engine, the oil pressure light should go out.

Short red wire to sheet metal ground [simulate high oil temp], light should flash.

If above steps are correct, remove shorting wire, drive car.

If the above doesn't work, and you are not flying in next interval [24 hrs{?}], or need to drive, have a beer, curse all thing electrical, then double check wiring.

Repeat above steps, as required.

Karl

Final thought: Does the flasher module require that it's case be grounded?

I removed the flasher from the car and setup a test with a 12v battery and a test light. I wired it correctly and the light stay on at all times. I reversed the connections and the light stays on at all times. No flashing in either case.

Does the amount of load matter? As in, do I need to have two lights drawing current vice one?

How could I tell if the flasher needs a ground? There is no reference on the packaging or online to a ground connection.

Im thinking I have a bad flasher. Im gonna swap it out and see what happens.

-ANGRO

Edit: Got a new flasher: No joy. I am confused by the flasher because the terminals are labeled X = Positive and L = Lamp. But the green wire is supplying the 12v and is the bulb wire. One in the same, so will this flasher work? Im at a loss (beer in hand). Thank you for your help, Sir!

-ANGRO
fightclub

Postby fightclub » June 25th, 2017, 2:34 pm

I got the flasher working outside of the car.

I hooked the pos 12 from a battery to the X (positive) terminal on the flasher. I ran a lead from the L (lamp) terminal to one side of a 12v automotive light bulb i have. the other side went to negative on the battery.

This worked. Nice and steady flashing and I can her the relay clicking.

Based on this, Im thinking it wont work for my application given that the positive AND lamp wire are one in the same (green wire). Thoughts?

-ANGRO
fightclub

Postby k-ww » June 25th, 2017, 3:03 pm

It could be that the idiot lamp in the dash just draws too little current.

To check this, connect the external bulb between the green/red junction and the battery + { like in your photo ]
[this, except for the ignition switch] parallels the idiot light.

If this works, connect the bulb to the "run" connection on the ignition switch, instead of to the battery +, so it has power when the car runs, and not otherwise.
k-ww

Previous

Return to Help me! Hardware