Easy Blinking LED Problem

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

Easy Blinking LED Problem

Postby fightclub » June 21st, 2017, 7:20 pm

Hello All!

I am an avid everyday reader of hackaday but not a big forum member.

I have (what i believe to be an easy problem) a vintage car project that I think the brain trust here can help with.

I have a 1970 VW Beetle that has a low oil pressure light (12v). I recently added a high oil temp indicating dipstick (savemybug.com) that uses the same light to indicate high temp.

Unfortunately, there is no way to distinguish between low oil pressure and high oil temperature (as a Navy helicopter pilot, distinguishing is big for me).

Both indications light the one/same light in the dash.

Is there an easy way to make the light flash for high temp and stay steady for low oil pressure. I was thinking a 555 timer but i know there HAS to be an easier way.

The connections area all automotive spade connectors. Thank you in advance.
fightclub

Re: Easy Blinking LED Problem

Postby k-ww » June 21st, 2017, 7:41 pm

To keep the circuit automotive, what if you used a turn signal blinkers module?

The main question is: does the circuit to the bulb get grounded to turn on?

This will determine how to wire the 555 or blinkers module.
k-ww

Postby fightclub » June 21st, 2017, 8:09 pm

k-ww wrote:To keep the circuit automotive, what if you used a turn signal blinkers module?

The main question is: does the circuit to the bulb get grounded to turn on?

This will determine how to wire the 555 or blinkers module.

That is correct. The circuit to bulb is grounded in order to get the light to turn on. Just confirmed this in the manual for the car. Thank you in advance.

-ANGRO
fightclub

Postby fightclub » June 22nd, 2017, 5:53 pm

The oil temp and oil pressure sender/switch only have 1 wire if that makes a difference.
fightclub

Postby fightclub » June 24th, 2017, 10:57 am

Bueller?
fightclub

Postby k-ww » June 24th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Nope, not my day off.

Get a LED flasher module, 2 wire, connect negative lead to dipstick temp sensor, positive to junction of low pressure switch and bulb.

High temp will blink, low pressure gives constant on & takes precedence in error indication..
k-ww

Postby fightclub » June 24th, 2017, 10:04 pm

k-ww wrote:Nope, not my day off.

Get a LED flasher module, 2 wire, connect negative lead to dipstick temp sensor, positive to junction of low pressure switch and bulb.

High temp will blink, low pressure gives constant on & takes precedence in error indication..

Most excellent, Sir! Im gonna try this in the am.

Would this work for my application?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/novita-heavy-duty-flasher-el12/5081289-P

Thank you very much!

-ANGRO
fightclub

Postby fightclub » June 25th, 2017, 9:25 am

I tried to 2 terminal flasher. Novita LL552. Either I have it wired wrong (quite possible) or it might not work given the setup?

I have the high temp sensor spade connector going to the negative terminal (though its not labeled negative. its labeled lamp).

The low oil pressure spade connector is connected to the light spade connector by a 3 way spade connector. That is connected to the positive terminal on the flasher. Ive tried two different setups and they both result in a solid high temp light (should be flashing).

Would a three terminal work? High temp to negative. Oil Pressure to positive. Lamp to light bulb?

Thank you in advance!

-ANGRO
fightclub

Postby k-ww » June 25th, 2017, 9:40 am

Since there is only a small bulb, I think you need a flasher module that doesn't need high bulb currents to work.

I would try an "electronic" module like this one:

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and- ... 2494_11714

Electro mechanical ones need a moderate amount of current to cause a bi-metallic switch to operate.

The current heats the bi-metallic switch, causing it to open until it cools off [like a self-resetting fuse].

Because the current draw of the idiot light is low, the bi-metallic switch never gets hot enough to open with a normal flasher, so the bulb stays lit.

Off-topic question: If you hit a patch of ice and spin out, would you call that 'auto-rotation?
k-ww

Postby fightclub » June 25th, 2017, 10:53 am

k-ww wrote:Since there is only a small bulb, I think you need a flasher module that doesn't need high bulb currents to work.

I would try an "electronic" module like this one:

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and- ... 2494_11714

Electro mechanical ones need a moderate amount of current to cause a bi-metallic switch to operate.

The current heats the bi-metallic switch, causing it to open until it cools off [like a self-resetting fuse].

Because the current draw of the idiot light is low, the bi-metallic switch never gets hot enough to open with a normal flasher, so the bulb stays lit.

Off-topic question: If you hit a patch of ice and spin out, would you call that 'auto-rotation?

Roger. Ill head over now and swap out for another unit and will report back.

As for the auto, yes, however i think its far easier to survive and auto in a helo vice me spinning out of control in a '70 beetle. At least an auto is controllable ha. A wise toy once said thats its not flying but falling with style!

-ANGRO
fightclub

Next

Return to Help me! Hardware