Renting Computer Memory

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

Renting Computer Memory

Postby evansste » June 20th, 2017, 2:22 pm

I need more powerful hardware that uses a lot of memory. I've been able to find servers that can support as much as 12TB of RAM. Those severs are expensive, but I was also able to find an affordable motherboard on Amazon that can support 2TB of RAM. The motherboard is within purchasing range, but the RAM certainly isn't (around $7000 for one 1x128GB LRDIMM stick of RAM).

I've been searching for companies that may rent this type of RAM, but so far haven't had much luck. Does anyone happen to have any experience in this area, or know of a way I can get my hands on this type of RAM? Because it's so expensive, renting is the only way that I can think to be able to use it.

I checked out a server rental place, but they only have 1x8GB sticks. These large sticks seem to be quite rare. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time and attention. All ideas are greatly appreciated.
evansste

Re: Renting Computer Memory

Postby asheets » June 20th, 2017, 3:38 pm

Instead of just renting one aspect of the computer (memory), how about trying to rent the entire thing? Amazon EC2 can rent you a powerful virtual instance for a low hourly cost. Depending on what you need, you can get an instance with lots of CPU, lots of memory, lots of GPU, lots of throughput, and/or lots of storage.

Take a look at http://hackaday.com/2015/07/10/build-an ... aming-rig/ for one example. When I duplicated a similar setup in my lab, it turned out to be a little less than $3000 for the 6 weeks (24/7) the instance was up. It wasn't too bad, considering my company made a decent amount off of what was running, and didn't have to go out an purchase any "real" hardware to do this one-off job.
asheets

Postby evansste » June 21st, 2017, 9:40 am

Thanks, asheets, for the good suggestion.

I was also able to find a company that rents dedicated servers and will allow me to install all of my own software. But this leads me to another question. I generally use Lubuntu on all of my machines. Whether it's a laptop or a desktop, Lubuntu installs with great ease. Is there any difference when installing on a high-end server? I know that Ubuntu has an Ubuntu Server operating system. Is it necessary to install a server version of an operating system on a server, or are they mainly used because most servers are used to host websites, and server operating systems make such management easier?

Thanks again for your suggestion of Amazon EC2. The link is very helpful, as well as the information you provided about pricing.
evansste

Postby asheets » June 21st, 2017, 1:02 pm

While I'm not exactly familiar with Lubuntu's operating details, I do know it was designed for lesser platforms. Lubuntu and other workstation-class OS variants might not be able to take full advantage of full server-class hardware due to optimizations in other areas (particularly usability and ease-of-installation).

You should investigate a Debian or Ubuntu Server class OS with high-end equipment. I personally lean towards RHEL/CentOS on my enterprise-class builds. But, as always, you should try to stick with whatever the manufacturer recommends on their approved software list.

evansste wrote:<snip> But this leads me to another question. I generally use Lubuntu on all of my machines. Whether it's a laptop or a desktop, Lubuntu installs with great ease. Is there any difference when installing on a high-end server? I know that Ubuntu has an Ubuntu Server operating system. Is it necessary to install a server version of an operating system on a server, or are they mainly used because most servers are used to host websites, and server operating systems make such management easier?<snip>.
asheets

Return to Help me! Hardware