Looking for a simple smart stepper motor

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

Looking for a simple smart stepper motor

Postby Tarkon » May 31st, 2017, 7:20 pm

Hi!

I'm trying to update and recreate a project I did in the past. It's a weather clock, which pulls information from a weather RSS feed and then points a needle to a corresponding icon on a clock face. It was the first project I did, and things have come so far since then. For this project I used a 360° winch servo, which was loud and inaccurate - causing it to routinely point off-center of the icon. Now the servo has burned out, I want to update it.

Ideally I'd like to use a stepper motor - of course the problem is that I don't know where top-center is with a stepper. I've read about projects of using a light sensor or a Hall effect sensor to determine zero position, but this seems like a lot of work. Surely there has to be a stepper out there already with this built-in, or some other method of determining zero position.

Since it's just turning a shaft to point a needle on a clock face, it obviously doesn't need to be powerful at all. But it does need to turn 360°, which rules out a X25/X27 dashboard stepper motor.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-T

2012-11-24 19.44.15.jpg
Tarkon

Return to Help me! Hardware