Migrating (my mind) from Arduino to Raspberry PI

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

Migrating (my mind) from Arduino to Raspberry PI

Postby edugimeno » December 23rd, 2016, 4:23 am

HI there
Today, initiated by a request from my manager to start "thinking" about an upcoming project, I've started reading about Rasp-PI.
I have been working with Arduino for years, basically since it was launched, and I've developed dozens of programs and connected all sorts of modules to it, so I feel very familiar with this platform.
Now, thinking of RPI, which I had always avoided contact with :D I was expecting something like a beefed up version with KB and monitor output capabilities where you would upload your program developped in .... well, some language, etc...

Now I've found out that RPI is more like a stand alone computer by itself, something you won't need your PC by the side at all once you've flashed the SD card with Raspbian...So once it's up and running you develop everything within RPI

I like Linux, it's been my main OS for many many years. I like C and shell programming, done a lot with those.
It looks like Python is the "recommended" way to go from the Foundation. I don't fear learnign a new language at this point.

But... I also see that Rasp-PI is used a lot by people who basically connect it to some high level USB devices and do little with the low level, so maybe there are other routes to follow rather that what 90% of people do.

What, in the hardware hacking community, would be the path to get deep into this platform? Would you guys share what you are doing with RPI? I would appreciate any tip on how to deal with this new-to-me platform.

Thanks in advance!!
Eduardo
edugimeno

Re: Migrating (my mind) from Arduino to Raspberry PI

Postby tsmspace » January 18th, 2017, 12:53 am

well, I'm new to arduino and raspberry pi,,

I'm not an "electronics" person,, I have some beginner background that most people would probably not talk about, and some very recent hobby interest. I am a super-beginner with no place in this forum,,, but I WANT some things so I'll just tell you my thoughts.

I think robots are cool,, but robot means autonomous, and this is not as cool as we all wish it was,, the real truth is remote control is king. No machine will outperform a practiced and interested human. for any robot you can make, there will be a human that figures out a way to drive that machine, and when they do there will be a way to outperform the machine, and it won't be THAT hard for any human to do it. The raspberry pi is an opportunity for multi-purpose ultimate connectivity remote control. it has pins, so if something else does too, it should be easy to hook up to it. I think one major problem with commercial robots is they are exactly NOT remote control compatible, but if you consider industrial machines,, the MOST IMPORTANT THING is that an operator is able to somehow drive each moving part using some other form of isolated control.

being able to hook up to arduinos would make sensor data start to be a lot more useful,, yes it's true that people can just use their computer,, but it's also true that the fact is, the phone is a phone and not really as good for everything else, besides, someone is going to call. Your desktop computer can do just any computing, but no it can't because that's not what it is, its a desktop computer and it only does desktop computing. The fucking roomba doesn't work, I'm really just wanting to drive the fucker. No one is buying a fucking robot, well,, the roomba doesn't work without a pilot,, but I WANTED to pilot the roomba.

so raspberry pi is cool and everything, but what it is really is that arduinos are pins,, and you can just hook right up,,, but the arduino doesn't do that. So you can use raspberry pi,, it becomes a dedicated impliment,, if you WANT to drive it with your phone, you can hook up to the raspberry pi with your wifi,, but a phone is a phone.

the other thing is,, HDMI is pretty cool, but if you figured out a way that we can all just usb up to our pi with an android, use the keyboard and mouse the pi has,, but see it on our android, I think that everyone would just be a whole lot happier. (I'm pretty sure someone is specifically trying to prevent that,, delay is fine,, there could be an auto setting for lower resolution,, a phone screen is only small),, no one wants to use the shell,,, they just want the regular pi and ,,,, no one wants to use the whole computer that their phone is,, just the screen,.

At this point I'll finish with my opinion on the average person and electronics., I don't really think these toys are for engineers,,, that would be a joke, my arduino sucks, and I know that there are more professional and effective ways to do everything that can be done,, arduino is a kids toy when compared. arduino is the beginning of an easy way for people to get used to using a higher complexity of electronic interaction so that electronics can become more a part of everyone's everyday life. If you start to do something around it,, and you see that something is hard,, I KNOW that a lot of people on engineering paths think that "people are stupid" and that "this stuff is supposed to be hard" but in the future it won't be, and someone will know that YOU were the monkey for thinking that way,,, learning things is the same for everyone. talent is a way to say "background". well if you want the future, then more people need the background, and then you WON't be talented, it's true, and you already know that,, but you will actually be able to use the thing you think is so great, because it will be everywhere, and in England,, they are giving EVERY PERSON OF THEIR COUNTRY things like these.

Radiohead library is hard to use, but it's a good example of the right idea. I'm pretty ordinary, and i want it to be easier for me to have a couple of toy robots that can map my room and I can use to see places in laser imagery. I also want it to be easier to hook my raspberry pi to anything with a pin. I think it's ok to say what I want because I think I represent a very large percent of the population, and you are talking about a company looking to make money.
tsmspace

Re: Migrating (my mind) from Arduino to Raspberry PI

Postby edugimeno » January 18th, 2017, 1:52 am

Really good comment, indeed. Now my opinion, after having been playing with a Rasp-PI for some weeks, and arduinos for many many years.

For me Arduino is more than a kids toy. It can be seen as a toy as it would allow someone to start making a really simple project in 2 minutes. Connect a switch, a led, program 5 lines, and you have something working. Back in the PIC / bare ATMEGA / 8051 /... days, to have a simple microcontroller project running you needed some hours. You needed to solder the microcontroller, crystal, power regulator, etc..you need a ICP programmer to transfer you compiled program...etc. If you needed to connect a LCD, you needed to download a spreadheet and start following the directions to send the INIT to the lcd, configure X,Y scale, fonts, etc...bit by bit quite often.

With an arduino, you buy a ready to run board, connect it on USB, launch that superfriendly IDE, connect some shields to it, import hundreds of preprogrammed libraries to use the shields...#include <lcd.h> lcd.init(); lcd.write ("Hello world"); Up & Running

I've gone from super simple projects in Arduino, enjoying the simplicity in it, thru having maximized the room in an Mega by connecting a bunch of peripherals to it, WIfi, Blueooth, LCD, RTC, relay boards, general I/O, etc. So at that point the Arduino wasn't being a kids toy to me, it was being a very powerful tool that helped me build a pretty complex project.

Raspberry PI: For me, this SBC is basically a complete computer in a tiny form factor. I like that it uses Linux, as I've been working on linux for years. And to me, Linux provides me with "full power" to do whatever I want. In my case, the HDMI port isn't really useful. I used it for 2 minutes while I configured the Wifi and the VNC server in it, then I just have the Rasp-PI hanging from a phone charger and that's all it has connected, everything else is done thru Wifi->VNC.

As for power, the Rasp-PI is light years ahead of an Arduino (1.2 GHz 64bit ARM CPU / 16MHz 8bit ATMega). Does everyone need this power? Maybe not, but for its price, its sometimes worth "kill mosquitoes with cannons" as we say.

My initial struggle with Rasp-Pi, what originated this first post, was lack of knowledge of how to program a Rasp-PI. And now I see there's really no standard (which is not too good, as the knowledge disperses around all the options). In Arduino there's basically one language, the one provided by the Arduino IDE, so everyone, all the forums, etc, were focused on this, so if you had a question, it would be easily get replied to.

Here with Rasp-PI you can take several choices. Python, C, Shell, C++, Scratch, etc...At the end I've taken my choice for C. I feel handy with it and there are "some" examples of C on Rasp-PI that I've been able to reuse to start.

What I see is that most people don't use Rasp-PI as an open platform with dedicated IO pins and whatnot. They basically use it as a normal computer that has a dedicated program running into it. Not bad, as it's better to have a $40 computer running 24/7 what you need rather than your personal computers doing this job, but I don't really see many projects making use of the specific I/O capabilities provided by this platform.

I am still working on the RPI right now, I have a "medium size" project that has to be developed on this platform, I will eventually get back to this forum with questions.

Thanks
edugimeno

Return to Help me! Hardware