3.0 flash drive , with conector missing

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

3.0 flash drive , with conector missing

Postby Sheff » October 7th, 2014, 9:55 pm

can i use a standard 2.0 plug to temporarily make a connection to the board to get files off ?
i have done the same with 2.0 to 2.0, but not sure if the same can be done with 3.0 as it has 9 pins .
all the pads are fine but don't have a new connector to solder to the board at this time .
Sheff

Re: 3.0 flash drive , with conector missing

Postby Sheff » October 12th, 2014, 5:29 pm

32 views and not a single hint/suggestion/link ?
looking at pics of the two , it looks like 2.0 and 3.0 share some common pins .
USB 2.0 interfaces have four connections: a +5VDC power source, one positive and one negative data line, and a ground.
USB 3.0 connectors have four additional data lines and a drain.
using a standard 2.0 plug with the end wires exposed and solder to the corresponding pins on the 3.0 that would be +5VDC power source, one positive and one negative data line, and a ground .
will it work but just at a lower speed?
Attachments
flash-drive-connectors.jpg
flash-drive-connectors.jpg (16.23 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
Sheff

Postby lastchancename » October 12th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Yes.
I believe the USB 3 plugs are designed to be 'backward compatible' - so as long as nothing touches the five 'new' pins - and you match the original four -- pin-to-pin, everything will be wonderful.
Certainly +Vcc, GND, and D+ D- are not going to do anything terrible in any case. It just won't work until you put them right. (Ok GND really does have to go to GND !)
lastchancename

Postby st2000 » October 13th, 2014, 2:38 pm

I was assuming the OP wanted to know specifically if his "USB 3.0 Device" would work using only a USB 2.0 connection back to a "USB 3.0 Host". Maybe. Assuming the USB Device and the USB Host were *both* backwards compatible. But history show us that there are a lot of USB devices out there that operate a bit out of the normal. Apple is a good example. They have been fiddling with USB ports for years. I think Apple added extra contacts to USB 2.0 ports for their "stick" (first shuffle?) MP3 player. And they add resistor networks to USB ports to indicate the charging capacity of dumb chargers. Come to think of it, it would probably be a very bad thing to plug an old Apple Shuffle into a USB 3.0 port. Anyone know for sure?

If you really want to do the leg work, I would start here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
Most of the text is fairly non committal to your specific question. I would then follow the references to see if there is something specific with how a 3.0 Device and a 3.0 Host will operate given a 2.0 cable is used.
st2000

Postby Osgeld » October 13th, 2014, 5:51 pm

I have done it, and in my case with a 3.0 device and a 2.0 cable and a 3.0 host it just fell back to 2.0
Osgeld

Postby lastchancename » October 13th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Good to know
Neither device could see a USB 3.0 device (no conductors) - so they were happy to use the 2.0 interface. Good design, simple solution.
lastchancename

Postby Sheff » October 13th, 2014, 11:29 pm

Thank you all for your comments and helpful input.
I now feel that I can do this safely to get the files for the teacher that broke it :lol:
And if I'm lucky I may get to keep it ( 64GB flash drive) :D
My fist pc only had a 20gb drive and was old when i got it , this may (if I get to keep it ) might get put to use as a live Linux distro with persistence to save files and settings .
Sheff

Postby Sheff » November 2nd, 2014, 12:02 am

Wanted to update on this.
I got it working with the 2.0 cable soldered to every other pad on the flash drive.
But one peculiar thing , I did it at work and only an old PPC Mac was able to see it and stay connected to it.
When plugged into a windows 7 laptop it just connected and disconnected over and over again :?
Any thoughts on why ?
Sheff

Postby st2000 » November 2nd, 2014, 8:45 pm

It's not so much how old the Mac is, it is more what version of the OS the Mac is running.

Windows machines look for autostart files on some inserted flash memory. A huge security risk. You may have some files on the thumb drive that Win7 tries to run upon insertion, but actually causes Win7 to go nuts and unmount the drive. Also, Windows stopped putting partitions on some types of flash memory. Most likely to purposely break the flash memory device in all but Windows machines. Maybe this has backfired in some (karma) sort of way.

Now that I think of it, it might be the Mac does not understand anything beyond USB 2.0 and Win7 does. So Win7 may try to negotiate a USB 3.0 connection. But of course that fails. Then Win7 gives up instead of falling back to USB 2.0. Which sounds like Win7's USB driver is buggy.
st2000

Postby blackbee0045 » November 3rd, 2014, 6:59 am

Assuming the USB Device and the USB Host were *both* backwards compatible. But history show us that there are a lot of USB devices out there that operate a bit out of the normal. Apple is a good example. ?

Last edited by blackbee0045 on November 25th, 2014, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackbee0045

Next

Return to Help me! Hardware