Reverse Engineer Inova Lightlink Wallboard

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

Re: Reverse Engineer Inova Lightlink Wallboard

Postby hfiennes » August 23rd, 2015, 6:49 pm

Pah, and now I see I can't even type "Hackaday". Ah well.
hfiennes

Postby freebie » August 27th, 2015, 1:45 am

When you get the shield built I'd be interested in an eagle file or to do a group buy on OSHPark.com

Everyone was convinced the logic to address was going to be convoluted, glad someone tried!

The squirrel files would be welcome too :) if you want to provide a bitcoin address I'd gladly donate
freebie

Postby hfiennes » September 15th, 2015, 10:41 pm

Got the PCBs back & they worked perfectly (Brandon did the design, but gratifying to know that I'd remembered what wires went where!). See pics - you remove the big ugly board, replace it with this one (the mounting holes line up), plug the 3 cables in and insert an arduino. Very neat, uses existing power connector, the only component (besides the 0.1" headers) is a diode so you don't attempt to backpower the display from USB when you plug in to reprogram the arduino.

Here the bitmap is generated by an imp which is wired to the Arduino RXD pin, but you could generate it with anything and send over UART or USB. Gerber files & awful Arduino code to follow :)

IMG_5743.jpg
The bare board

IMG_5741.jpg
Old controller

IMG_5742.jpg
Neater!
hfiennes

Postby coreybl1 » February 23rd, 2017, 5:17 pm

I came across this thread and thought it would be a neat project to try. I have a similar Inova wallboard sitting around. It's 3 rows of 5x8 modules and appears to have the same 10 pin interface described in the thread. I don't have an Imp. I'm just trying to drive the sign with an Arduino Uno and a basic sketch, using the information provided in the thread. Unfortunately, I'm having a tough time following hfiennes description of the drive sequence and translating it into a sketch I can use. I'm fairly new to working with Arduinos but I understand the basics and believe if I had a better understanding of the sequence of events for each pin, I would be golden. I want to at least light one pixel. :)

Would someone be able to lend a hand with additional details about how you were able to run the sign with an Arduino? Maybe some example Arduino code or more details event sequence? I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks
coreybl1

Previous

Return to Help me! Hardware