Control jacuzzi using Raspberry Pi

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

Control jacuzzi using Raspberry Pi

Postby shibbey » April 20th, 2014, 12:38 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to control my Balboa jacuzzi remotely from the internet by using a Raspberry Pi.

The jacuzzi got a motherboard (GS501Z) in which all the sensors, pump and water heater is connected. The motherboard is currently controlled by a VL200 panel (Picture1 , Picture2) to turn on the pump, water heater and to read the current water temperature etc. The VL200 panel is connected to the motherboard by a 8-pin RJ45 ethernet cable.

I'm not sure how I will go about controlling the jacuzzi. I can only come up with three different solutions on how to do this:

1. Do a "man in the middle" on the RJ45 cable and read the data that is sent from the "motherboard" to the VL200 panel. After this I will try to inject my own data to control the jacuzzi. If I would go with this solution, how would I go about reading the data? What components would one use to do this? Is there someone who have done something similar?

2. Open up the VL200 panel and connect relays on each of the buttons so I can "push" the buttons by triggering the relays. And for getting the information from the panel I will read the data that is sent to the lcd display. If I would go with this solution, how would I go about reading the data that is sent to the lcd display?

3. Open up the VL200 panel and connect relays on each of the buttons so I can "push" the buttons by triggering the relays. And getting information from the panel by using a webcam to read the value from the display. This is the worst solution, but the solution that would be the easiest to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
shibbey

Re: Control jacuzzi using Raspberry Pi

Postby LizAurbee » May 2nd, 2014, 2:00 pm

Hey there!

My name is Lizzie and in the next few weeks we I will be launching my product "Aurbee" on Kickstarter. And I think it's pretty much exactly what you're trying to do with your Jacuzzi.

Basically accomplishing controlling your jacuzzi wirelessly from across the room or even the planet!

Hit me up at liz@aurbee.com if you want more info!
LizAurbee

Postby djotep » May 28th, 2014, 11:39 am

Hi, have you solved this problem ?

I'm trying to do the same, but i have Spa conroller Balboa GS523DZ Control Box with VL801D topside panel.

Your 3rd solution sound good, but I would like to try the 1st one. Because I want to control full features of my spa via internet.

(sorry for my poor english :) )
djotep

Postby moremassive » February 20th, 2016, 9:54 am

Have you been able to figure anything out? I found a patent online that may apply:
https://www.google.com/patents/US7158909

In an exemplary embodiment, a serial port of the test station computer 52 is connected to a serial port of the electronic controller of the spa 1 through a voltage level shifting adapter 80. The adapter 80 converts between RS-232 signal levels of the computer serial port and SPI protocol TTL signal levels which are compatible with the microcomputer comprising the electronic controller of the spa. In an exemplary embodiment, the adapter module 80 can include a MAX 232 RS-232 driver receiver device, marketed by Maxim, or an equivalent, for performing the level shifting. For some applications, the adapter 80 may be omitted, e.g. in a design in which the TTL conversion is performed on the controller board of the spa, and RS-232 signals are communicated between the test station computer and an RS-232 port on the spa controller board. A serial data stream can be passed between the computer and the spa controller, allowing data and commands to be passed from the computer to the spa controller, and for status and other data to be passed from the spa to the computer 52.

Later it discusses comm settings, what button pushes look like, etc. It's pretty complete but... I don't know if it applies to my circuit board -- a VS500z. I'm going to connect an arduino to it and see if I can get anything out of the second RJ45 port -- I think the two ports are just one port split into two.
moremassive

Postby BoKKeR » February 22nd, 2016, 2:52 am

try to sniff whats happening on the ethernet port. if not serial port
BoKKeR

Postby JamesHansen1961 » April 19th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Any luck on communicating with your VS501Z controller? I am trying to do something similar. I want to be able to turn up my hot tub remotely so it is ready when I arrive.

I have an RJ45 cable that I am trying to sniff, but with not much success. Does anyone know if it uses SPI protocol?

Can I simulate a 2nd display panel as a slave by simply splitting the RJ45 connection?

I have an Arduino UNO board that I would like to use to send a message to change the mode to Standard and then set the temperature to 100.

I do not need to get any feed back (yet) from the controller, I just want to inject these commands.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
JamesHansen1961

Return to Help me! Hardware