HP Touch Smart Monitor

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

HP Touch Smart Monitor

Postby StonedNinja » March 30th, 2013, 1:20 pm

Hello

I have a Monitor taken from a broke HP touch smart all in one PC. I want to use the monitor however the connection is not a normal VGA, it uses several unknown (to me) leads that connected directly to the HP touch smarts Mother board.

basically i want to know if i can change the connection to a VGA?

the original machine :-

this is want the monitor looks like :-
StonedNinja

Re: HP Touch Smart Monitor

Postby UAirLtd » March 30th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Looks like it might be the kind of monitor connector you'd find in a laptop. If so, the process of converting it to VGA would be similar to reusing a laptop screen in the same way (i.e. using some kind of converter board designed for driving laptop monitors with more conventional signals like VGA/DVI/HDMI/etc). There are some threads here that cover that I think, search for things like "using laptop monitor".
UAirLtd

Postby GaspingSpark » March 30th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Closeups of the connectors would be useful to identify them. The only true way to know though is to open it up and see what they're connected to.

It's probably LVDS for the LCD and you'd need a converter board. Or reuse an old laptop motherboard that has an LVDS support.

The other cables are probably power, microphone, speakers, and USB for the camera and touch panel.

Was this the board?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 858789#N55

If you can remember where each cable was plugged in it would be helpful too.
GaspingSpark

Postby GaspingSpark » March 30th, 2013, 2:08 pm

I just looked up that motherboard at one of my favorite parts suppliers:

http://www.brtpartstore.com/PartStore/- ... -i/1296205

$899 for a motherboard? :shock: Insane.

I can see why you broke the machine down for parts. ;)
GaspingSpark

Postby StonedNinja » March 30th, 2013, 4:52 pm

thanks guys.. i will take some photos of the connection and upload later...
StonedNinja

Postby StonedNinja » July 31st, 2013, 7:59 am

So its been a while, i looked into converting LCD monitors and the control boards are easy to get hold of on ebay, but i'm not sure if one will work with this HP TouchSmart Monitor. heres a close up of the current leads / ribbons...

mon leads 1.jpg
mon leads 1
Attachments
mon leads 3.jpg
leads 3
mon lead 2.jpg
leads 2
mon lead 2.jpg (67.34 KiB) Viewed 6250 times
StonedNinja

Postby StonedNinja » July 31st, 2013, 8:03 am

and here is a picture of the current control boards

mon 1.jpg
mon 1.jpg (100.76 KiB) Viewed 6250 times

board 1.jpg

BTW i ended up getting around £250 back on the Mobo and CPU :) not bad considering i paid nothing for the machine :lol:
StonedNinja

Postby modder_mike » July 31st, 2013, 7:19 pm

The wiring looks wrong for eDP, so I'm guessing it's some configuration of LVDS. That said, it's still too difficult to say with any certainty with such small, blurry photos. If you can, try and get to the LCD panel itself and see if you can get a part number off it, that'll tell us with complete confidence what you'll have to do to get it running.

[Edit] Oh, and the board says "LVDS" in silkscreen, definitely LVDS. But we'll still want the part number if you can get it in order to help any further.
modder_mike

Postby escline » August 31st, 2013, 2:16 pm

I too have one of these LCD panels that I'd like to re-purpose. Here are some more pictures of relevant part numbers and/or connectors.

HP-LCD-Panel-Part-Number.jpg
LCD Panel part number

LCDB-CF-board.jpg
LCDB-CF board

LCDB-CF-board-part-number.jpg
LCDB-CF part number
escline

Postby modder_mike » September 1st, 2013, 8:06 am

What we really need is the label from the bare panel, not the label from this assembly. In your photo of the LCDB-CF board, you can see at the upper right where the board plugs into the panel. The board and the panel are separated by a steel plate, which is what everything is screwed to. See if you can unscrew the panel from this plate (typically but not always along the left and right sides), and try to get to the backside of it and look for a part number there. There are only so many LCD panel manufacturers out there, and Asus and HP aren't one of them, so to get more info on re-use we'll need to know who in particular makes this panel so we can avoid a lot of reverse-engineering effort.
modder_mike

Next

Return to Help me! Hardware