Adding Bluetooth to Android Tablet

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

Adding Bluetooth to Android Tablet

Postby frafreg » March 13th, 2013, 10:22 am

I have an Android tablet running Froyo 2.2.1 but is does not have bluetooth.
I would like to add bluetooth either internally as a module or as a dongle on the USB ports.
The tablet has two USB ports but I am not sure how to go about making a bluetooth module or dongle work with the Android OS.
Inserting a bluetooth adapter into either USB port does not work because it does not get recognozed.
I noticed that there is a spot on the motherboard for a bluetooth adapter but I'm not sure which module will work and what hacking needs to be done to the operating system.
Has anyone attempted this project?
Thank you.
frafreg

Re: Adding Bluetooth to Android Tablet

Postby haneefmubarak » March 13th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Without the manufacturer's source, the other drivers, custom drivers for the bluetooth chip, and a lot of Android knowledge, I highly doubt this would be possible. Plus, Froyo is quite old, few devs would be willing to work older than Gingerbread. I would simply advise you to buy a new Android tablet running ICS or JB. Good tablets with moderate prices running ICS or JB include: Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, and/or ASUS Transformer.
haneefmubarak

Postby frafreg » March 14th, 2013, 8:46 am

I had the feeling that the bluetooth drivers may already be included but bluetooth was disabled because there is a spot on the motherboard for a bouetooth module. I have no way of looking at the command line to see if enabling is possible. I also get the feeling that this motherboard is probably used in other tablets that may have bluetooth built into them, but the module was left out.
The main reason I wanted bluetooth is because I want to run a car diagnostic that uses the bluetooth interface. If I could find a car diagnostic that worked with wi fi or the USB port, that would be great. With Android, you either use bluetooth or nothing.
As far as using an iPod or iPad, the only automotive diagnostic tools that work are expensive because Apple is very selective about who thay allow to work with their bluetooth stack.
Thank you very much for your reply.
I appreciate your help.
frafreg

Postby st2000 » March 14th, 2013, 1:36 pm

I think your only other option is to get a version of Android called CyanogenMod running on your hardware. If you do find a custom version of CyanogenMod designed for your hardware, you can go from there with respect to adding features. But, fair warning, if you get good enough to add features, then you will essentially have a level of knowledge to participate in the CyanogenMod effort. Most CyanogenMod users are not that good.

But if that's where you want to go... start by downloading the Eclipse editor. Then get the Android Software Development Kit and Tools. This in its self is an effort worthy of half a day's work.

Also, remember, Bluetooth comes in many different forms. If you are listening to Stereo Music, you are probably using Bluetooth A2DP. If you are talking to someone, you are probably using Bluetooth HFP. If you are typing on a keyboard, you are probably using Bluetooth HID. I'm betting that your car-ieee-dongle-thing is using a serial port Bluetooth protocol. I think Bluetooth SPP? Which Apple doesn't allow. Or at least did not in the past.

-good luck

edit: added later...

This looked interesting. Maybe you will find something you can use here:
http://antweb.me/index.php/blog-reader/items/installing-a-usb-bluetooth-dongle-on-a-beagleboard-xm-running-android-ics.html
st2000

Postby Calvin » March 28th, 2013, 6:23 am

haneefmubarak wrote:Without the manufacturer's source, the other drivers, custom drivers for the bluetooth chip, and a lot of Android knowledge, I highly doubt this would be possible. Plus, Froyo is quite old, few devs would be willing to work older than Gingerbread. I would simply advise you to buy a new Android tablet running ICS or JB. Good tablets with moderate prices running ICS or JB include: Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, and/or ASUS Transformer.

Ok.. I think this info. is good to me for buying a new tablet.
Calvin

Postby the_industrialphreak » November 3rd, 2013, 6:25 pm

I recently bought myself a pengpod1k. With that said reflashed the said device with linaro and make sure you install bluemon with

sudo apt-get install bluemon

You may need to make sure you run a sudo apt-get update first to make sure everything is up to date.

I've tried the beast with four different generic usb bluetooth devices with no problem, going to be diretly soldering the bord into the usb soon so it's going to be really cool. :mrgreen:

So I just finished wiring in the beast directly into my usb header on the tablet, suprise it worked but for some reason now my external usb tracball will not work. is there any additional circuitry involved in un-powered usb hubs to allow more then one device on the usb bus?

The optical tracball lights up while plugged in but will not recognize. I suppose I might look into rocking a hub motherboard in order to use multiple usb devices in the device. http://www.techknow.me/forum/index.php?topic=1688.0
the_industrialphreak

Postby waleeed12 » March 30th, 2016, 12:16 am

you are probably using Bluetooth HFP. If you are typing on a keyboard, you are probably using Bluetooth HID. I'm betting that your car-ieee-dongle-thing is using a serial port Bluetooth protocol. I think Bluetooth SPP? Which Apple doesn't allow. Or at least did not in the past.

== Chess ==
waleeed12

Postby chaturvedi98765 » January 19th, 2017, 5:28 am

The handheld transportable tablet computers business is extremely regarded international for its expertise in producing some of the best technological gadgets the world has ever seen. Adding the Bluetooth device in the tablets is use for the wireless communication. It is very useful for us, and it is easy to caring. Mobile app development company Most manufactures of portable handheld tablets specialize in many other things apart from the creation and design of computer products most of them manufacture electronic consumer goods. These enterprises usually offer products that are both suitable and different with the best approach to technology and existence preferences for their clients.
chaturvedi98765

Return to Help me! Hardware