Looking for an USB programmer for parallel eeprom/flash

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

Looking for an USB programmer for parallel eeprom/flash

Postby thor17 » February 9th, 2013, 12:19 pm

Hi,
I'm looking for an open source USB programmer, preferably based on a PIC 18F2550 or 18F2455.
I want to program parallel eeproms and flash memories with a maximum count of 24 address lines.
Does somebody know such a project?
thor17

Re: Looking for an USB programmer for parallel eeprom/flash

Postby k-ww » February 9th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Rather than going with a micro, I'd look at this:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... 232H-B.pdf

Then you would be talking to parallel latches over the USB bus [using the asnc bit-bang mode of the chip], and not having to worry about the micro, and doing the bit-banging on the PC/MAC side.

3 latches to hold the address, 1 or 2 for the data and one for the control lines.
k-ww

Postby thor17 » February 9th, 2013, 4:44 pm

Well, i thought already about something like this. I thought about using a PIC 16F1824 with four shift registers, interfaced to my PC via RS232.
The PIC and the 74HC595 can work with 5V as well as with 3.3V, so 5V and 3.3V memory could programmed by changing the supply voltage of the components.
Maybe that's the easiest thing, because I have every component for such a device available at home.
thor17

Postby k-ww » February 9th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Go for it!

My motto has always been "why re-invent the wheel, when you can steal a hubcap."

In this case, instead of developing something brand new, use what you know from prior projects and older designs.
k-ww

Postby st2000 » February 10th, 2013, 9:03 am

I would have never guessed, but if you google for a PIC based eeprom programmer you can find kits and pre-built programmers on amazon. I'd give you the direct URL but amazon's are huge and probably contain personal info. Try this as a starting point:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=amazon+pic+%20eeprom+programmer+usb

-good luck

Edit: added later...

Yes the kits are probably not open source (or, maybe they are??). But the kit I found was under $50. It would be hard to create your own for less than that. Even if you had all the parts (as you say) already. This based on a PCB run of a few boards costing more than $50.

Edit: added later yet...

D'oh, sorry, a closer look and I see that only some of the hits are eeprom programmers. And none I see are kits. Ok, fine, I see how this works, now to make up I've actually got to find this mythical project somewhere...
st2000

Postby thor17 » February 10th, 2013, 9:32 am

You don't have to assume that I'm stupid! Of course there are cheap programmers available. I found some for only 30€ on ebay.
I found a pretty good parallelport programmer too, but neither my pc nor my laptop does have a parallel port. I have every part for this Programmer at home, maybe I will make it and buy a parallel port pci express card.
If anyone is interested in, here you can find the EZoFlash Programmer.
thor17

Postby st2000 » February 10th, 2013, 9:52 am

Geez, I didn't say anyone was stupid.

I just spent an hour searching for you.

The outcome? I can't find what you are looking for. There is some talk over at piclist.com about building a PIC based EPROM programmer - but that's all I found.

I'm thinking that EPROMS were "out of the picture" by the time Microchip.com came about. So most programmers are based on using an old computer and the parallel port.

I would suggest you read this (free) passage in an old book I found for you.

1. google this "Steve Ciarcia pic based eprom programmer"
2. the first link as of the time of this posting is a link to the eprom programmer chapter at google books.

Then think about using the Microchip USB example code (Microchip already wrote the USB stack for you) and adding your own code to essentially control a circuit similar to the one described in the book.
Last edited by st2000 on February 10th, 2013, 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
st2000

Postby st2000 » February 10th, 2013, 9:57 am

Ahhh! Did you think I was mocking you by using LMGTFY.COM?? Heck no, I use that because I DO NOT want to expose my AMAZON.COM links. AMAZON.COM links (probably) contain personal information which I do not what posted (forever) here at hackaday.com. That's a good one.
st2000

Return to Help me! Hardware