Loft platform

Got a hardware problem? ask for help

Loft platform

Postby Drake » January 15th, 2013, 11:31 am

I am currently aquiring a new apartment. The place was a converted warehouse. While theres enough floor space you can always use more floor space. Seeing as the cieling is 16ft I was thinking about some loft type spaces. My idea was to have a loft bed which is easy to come by. My next idea, however, was to have a loft platform so I can have my desk and 3d Printing equiptment in an area that my significant other would not have to look at it all day, an adult play area of sorts.

Has anyone ever come by anything like this? The only issue I see is the platform has to not be attached to the structure of the building.
Drake

Re: Loft platform

Postby k-ww » January 15th, 2013, 11:51 am

Google "mezzanine" - steel structures to add a second floor in industrial spaces.
k-ww

Re: Loft platform

Postby TheZuke! » January 29th, 2013, 1:13 pm

If you know, or can find, the portions of your floor that can bear the load, you could build another floor a few feet up from yours with floor joists and posts, much like building the floor of a building. Consult a contractor/architect to find out the size and number of support posts/joists needed. Make a floor joist frame to fit the desired area. Attach to posts, include braces for stability. Fill in with more joists as needed. Lay flooring of your choice. Put up a safety rail and or curtain. Build a small staircase/ladder for access. Figure out a way to have electrical power/lighting up there. Maybe, cut all the parts at another location, use bolts for attaching to posts, and screws instead of nails (quieter, less likely to attract landlord than hammering nails/spikes). Oh yeah, be sure to have a fireman's pole, one, it'll be fun to slide down on, two, your significant other can dance with it. :D
TheZuke!

Return to Help me! Hardware