Touchscreen Jukebox Project - Complete

Keep a log of a project build here. Be sure to include pictures and as much documentation as possible.

Re: Touchscreen Jukebox Project - Complete

Postby Elementix » January 29th, 2011, 2:32 pm

ebs wrote:Thanks for your fast reply! It plays FLAC files just fine, once I added it to the list of audio formats.

One more question, please: What is the preferred directory structure for the music files?
I currently have my files organized in folders by artist, then a subfolder for each album.
Jukebox Arcade must need a different arrangement, since it displays the albums and songs, but not the artists.
The alphabetic filters don't work for the same reason.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Eric

Well, I'm not very familiar with FLAC but with my mp3s the structure I have is one folder labeled music. Then I have each album visible and labeled (artist - album). Inside that folder are my mp3s and the album art labeled as folder.jpg. Like I said though, I did go through all my mp3s and tagged them correctly. Of course, I'm not sure any of this matters because if I'm not mistaken arcade jukebox arranges by album names that are set in the tags. You also need to go into jukebox arcade's settings and rescan the library anytime a change is made (which kinda sucks).

I hope all that made sense. Let me know how it goes or if you need more help.
Last edited by Elementix on January 30th, 2011, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elementix

Postby ebs » January 29th, 2011, 2:58 pm

Thanks for the explanation. Apparently, Jukebox Arcade doesn't handle 2-level directory structures (Artist -> Albums),
and wants each album in a folder named "Artist - Album" like you said.
Now, I just have to figure out how to rearrange all of my music folders... :o
ebs

Postby Elementix » January 29th, 2011, 3:34 pm

Yea, it's mostly just time consuming to sit thereand rearrange/tag everything.. definitely worth it though. Can you post some pictures of your setup? Or are you just doing all this on your pc for now?
Elementix

Postby nickpunxxx » January 30th, 2011, 11:42 am

once youve had FLAC, you won't go back =P (http://flac.sourceforge.net/)

pretty big filesizes though, nice project btw!
nickpunxxx

Postby Elementix » January 30th, 2011, 12:04 pm

Thanks for all the responses guys. Apparently my project has been Lifehacker'd so that's pretty cool. :)

I hope everyone enjoys this! Maybe it will inspire others to build one as well and post it here. Good luck if you decide to do it!
Elementix

Postby Volkemon » February 11th, 2011, 12:25 pm

NICE work Elementix!!
I followed the link you gave earlier to use your big button GUI, and unzipped the folder. I took out the Skins folder I already had and set it on the desktop for safekeeping. I then placed the Skins folder from you into the Arcade Jukebox folder. By using this setting on the control panel I got it to work:

C:\Program Files\Arcade Jukebox\Skins\default\skin.xml

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting :lol:

Started this morning, and expect to have the hardware debugged and running by tonight.
Next is re-tagging the music to AJ's liking.
Then modification of the 1937 Howard radio case I am using. Pictures to follow :P
Volkemon

Postby Elementix » February 11th, 2011, 10:55 pm

Volkemon wrote:NICE work Elementix!!
I followed the link you gave earlier to use your big button GUI, and unzipped the folder. I took out the Skins folder I already had and set it on the desktop for safekeeping. I then placed the Skins folder from you into the Arcade Jukebox folder. By using this setting on the control panel I got it to work:

C:\Program Files\Arcade Jukebox\Skins\default\skin.xml

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting :lol:

Started this morning, and expect to have the hardware debugged and running by tonight.
Next is re-tagging the music to AJ's liking.
Then modification of the 1937 Howard radio case I am using. Pictures to follow :P

Awesome! Glad I was able to help you out. Make sure to take lots of pictures and post your progress. Feel free to ask me if you need any more help. :)
Elementix

Postby Volkemon » February 12th, 2011, 8:09 am

I am making myself take many pictures and post progress to ensure I stay on this project:
http://forums.hackaday.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=244&p=1774#p1774

I re-read your posts here and found out Album art must be stored in the album folder, as (folder_name_here).JPG? or folder.jpg?

Update-Mp3tag still shows the art when it displays the music on the HDD. GOOD! The images are there somewhere...And when I right click it has as an option 'Extract cover', and when doing so, its default name is 'folder.jpg' in the album folder...Hmmmm :idea:

Any good tutorial links for Arcade Jukebox? I tried the Wiki, didn't find much. Or maybe my sleep fuzzy eyes missed it. Back at it today.
Volkemon

Postby Elementix » February 12th, 2011, 8:56 am

Nope, no tutorials out there that I've found. I did email the developer of Jukebox arcade while building mine and got great support from him though.

When tagging my music I highlighted all tracks in mp3tag and deleted any previous album art they had. Then I just dragged and dropped the new art from firefox to the album art box in mp3tag and hit save. Then drug that art from mp3tag like you were saying into the folder as folder.jpg. Afterwards, make sure you go into the settings and rescan media to update the changes.

Oh, and do you plan on doing any work to the wood at all (i.e. sanding, filling cracks/dents, sanding, etc.)?

Looks awesome so far though! :) Maybe you could use this for the circular window you have available: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=97056.0
Elementix

Postby Volkemon » February 12th, 2011, 3:47 pm

I am the WORST for hijacking threads, so I am gonna keep my project details over on the build post. Keep your EXCELLENT post going in the same direction. (OK, for you- Going to do some refinishing, and thinking of something like this for the radio hole:
http://hackaday.com/2011/02/05/8x8-led-infinity-mirror/

On the Arcade Jukebox music file re-tagging-
I have the file structure nailed, and now its just clerical work. Mo' Music
Not too hard when you do it 200-300 times :)

Question on the GUI - I see how you modified it from 60 to 15 albums shown, with each being bigger. I would like to trim one more column off the right side, making it a 12 album display. Crowd the buttons a little more to the left, and make the type in the right pane biger and easier to read. Any hints on how to progress? I am going to check my settings and see if there is improvement to be had in the hardware I am using.

HEY....drag art into the box in mP3tag...GOOD IDEA!!! I am still finding more and more I like in that program. It scared me at first. :shock:
Volkemon

PreviousNext

Return to Project Logs