Home made cotton Candy machine!

Keep a log of a project build here. Be sure to include pictures and as much documentation as possible.

Home made cotton Candy machine!

Postby Stephanie » April 10th, 2011, 6:03 am

Just finished the proof of concept. I am using a few parts from some hard drives of all things. I tried using the drive motor, but it became a giant heatsink. Instead, I am using the little round spacers they put in between each platter Cut slits along these, stick a few high, and that's the main part.
Why did i choose this method? well, they're made of aluminum. Aluminum is a great heat transfer material. Cutting the slits on them is easier than drilling holes. I can stack as many high as I like, I'm going to see how high I can go before it doesn't have any effect.

Pictures to come soon. Right now it's just a butane burner, the spindle attached to a motor, and some sugar all over the place. The good news is that it works, and it looks very good. I hope to find a real method for heat, I have a bunch of nichrome wire, though getting heat to the chamber can be difficult. Any suggestions here?
Stephanie

Re: Home made cotton Candy machine!

Postby Stephanie » April 10th, 2011, 10:51 am

As promised. Pics.
Note the slots i made in the rings. The rings are also beveled in the inside, this is an added advantage as it channels the sugar to the slots.
Attachments
Apart.JPG
(67.54 KiB) Downloaded 1977 times
Assembled.JPG
(55.55 KiB) Downloaded 1977 times
Stephanie

Postby Stephanie » April 12th, 2011, 1:05 am

After playing around with it, I decided it was too small, so I got back to the basics to have a little fun. Do a web search for DIY Cotton candy machine, you'll see a little clip or instructable with one made out of two bottle caps. I took this to the next level, with two caps from some glass jars.
Git rid of the paint and other stuff, drill some holes, bind them together.
Add in a butane torch for heat.

It's best to heat from the bottom, right now i'm heating from the top/inside the chamber, and actually burning a little bit of the sugar.
Attachments
Rev0.JPG
(128.94 KiB) Downloaded 1913 times
Rev0Closeup.JPG
(112.27 KiB) Downloaded 1913 times
Stephanie

Postby Tomasito » April 23rd, 2011, 5:18 pm

Hi! Nice work! I'm looking forward to see the progress you make.

I made mine with an Axe bodyspray can instead of two bottle caps.
I sand it, cut and took the bottom part and poked some holes on it.
Next I bend the upper side of the drum to the inside so sugar doesn't fly all over the place
Put a mabuchi RS-369S, added a giant tuna can for the outside drum and voila, i've my candy cotton machine :mrgreen:

Now i've put a small guard under the small drum so the cotton candy can't get into the main shaft, also made from axe can and epoxied to the other part.

I heat the little drum with a pencil torch pointed directly to the sugar (the only place that doesn't blows up the flame). I also have found that it's better to pre-heat the sugar without turning on the motor and when it melts then turn on the motor.

It works like a charm, my neice couldn't be more happy with free cotton candy at home!

Some photos: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/10901246 ... r?h=0c12d7
Tomasito

Postby Stephanie » May 2nd, 2011, 3:43 pm

I'm starting on my 3rd rev. I bought some aluminum rings from Ebay. They're about 2" in diameter, made for RC cars. I stopped by the hardware store and got some Stainless 2" fender washers that fit on it. Now I need to cut the slots in the rings, and drill the fender washers. I'm going to try larger slots, about 1mm wide instead of the 0.5mm wide i used in my first rev. I also picked up some plastic nacho trays from a local thrift store, and have a motor assembly from a bread machine that I'll try to use. I still haven't figured out how i'll heat it, perhaps a resistive coil.
Stephanie

Postby k-ww » May 2nd, 2011, 6:10 pm

A thought on heating it: How about using a 12 quartz lamp? - paint / anodize the bottom of the cup black, and focus the lamp on the bottom.
k-ww

Postby hahihula » June 25th, 2011, 9:49 am

thinking about heating it other way than flame. Have you considered some kind of heating element? The most simple i can think off is soldering iron heating element. Maybe place it in the middle of the small sugar chamber. Or kind of flexible heating element bound around the sugar chamber? But they are more expensive.

But continue good work. Really appreciate it!
hahihula

Postby valient » June 29th, 2011, 2:50 pm

I worked for a moonwalk company for four years and we had two cotton candy machines we regularly rented out.

You might want to try some sort of plastic netting clipped to the side of the bowl. It'll keep the cotton candy from sticking to the side.

Professional machines have that. Also, the cotton candy floss is thrown THROUGH a mesh-like heating coil, and made airborne with two fins made of leather. This creates a downdraft that blows it away from the motor an cools it into ribbons. Then leather prevents it from cutting your hand like flastic fins would if you brush against it(but it still hurts like a bitch).

After that all i can really say is good luck (oh and dont bend the leather the wrong way or it'll all blow into your face and give you a pink beard).
valient

Postby valient » June 29th, 2011, 2:53 pm

ah, sorry. um, the mesh might have been silicone. It was nonstick, so the floss comes right off. There's no sugar build up and you just wash it with hot water.
valient

Postby redrocker » March 9th, 2016, 1:59 am

Surely a great news. I am sure you would have got a lot of orders after this news spread out. I am sure if you manage this in a bit more bigger and faster scale you would be able to make some real chunk of money too.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Redrocker
buckyballs magnets
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
redrocker

Return to Project Logs