OVEN DESOLDERING!

Keep a log of a project build here. Be sure to include pictures and as much documentation as possible.

OVEN DESOLDERING!

Postby BiOzZ » April 8th, 2011, 4:02 pm

i saw the hot air gun desoldering and thought i could do the same with my oven!
i mean you can reflow with one why cant you desolder?

so i turned on my convection oven to 550*F grabbed some aluminum pans and had at it

first i just put the motherboard on a cut out cooking pan and threw it in ... at about 300* the capacitors started popping so i removed it pulled all the capacitors out with pliers and put it back in

just about all solder melts at 400*f so i checked the temperature of the board to make sure there around 400*f

first time i took it out and i tapped it in another cooking sheet to drop most components than i took the plate of the motherboard to scrape some SMD components off ... i than put it back in for it to reheat up than id hold the PCBs at a 45* angle like \ and tap the back with a large fork and it would pull most threw hole components out ... after 3 times generally all the components were gone ... any remaining ones i removed with a small torch but that was only a few small SMD parts that got snagged

i than cleaned up the PCBs with a torch and some flicking to make them smooth and im going to sell them to a friend of mine who makes custom jewelry
BiOzZ

Re: OVEN DESOLDERING!

Postby machinelou » April 9th, 2011, 3:30 pm

So, this works for most things except capacitors?
machinelou

Postby BiOzZ » April 10th, 2011, 2:59 pm

machinelou wrote:So, this works for most things except capacitors?

electrolytic capacitors or other oil filled caps wont work
BiOzZ

Postby robodonut » April 12th, 2011, 1:38 pm

Somehow, the idea of putting devices that possibly contain lead, toxic electrolyte fluid, arsenic, etc. in a cooking oven seems like a bad idea to me.
robodonut

Postby Daid » April 13th, 2011, 7:17 am

A bit of lead never killed anyone :P

It seems to give pretty good results, but 400F is over the absolute maximum rating for a lot of sensitive electrical components. But seems a decent way to salvage the connectors.
Daid

Postby BiOzZ » April 13th, 2011, 1:02 pm

robodonut wrote:Somehow, the idea of putting devices that possibly contain lead, toxic electrolyte fluid, arsenic, etc. in a cooking oven seems like a bad idea to me.

than only use ROHS complaint devices? XD

the level is far to small to cause any real concern
BiOzZ

Postby MS3FGX » April 13th, 2011, 2:49 pm

Yeah...I'm not going to be putting any circuit boards into the oven my daughter's food is cooked in, thanks. But I guess if you had a spare oven (kinda odd) or more practically a toaster oven, this looks like an easy way to strip boards quickly.
MS3FGX

Postby hypercube33 » April 13th, 2011, 5:31 pm

What temp should we set the oven to, I'm totally doing this this week to my box of motherboards, cable modem, etc.

200'F is what most components can take, from what I've seen. So half of 400'F isnt "right"
hypercube33

Postby robodonut » April 13th, 2011, 8:41 pm

hypercube33 wrote:What temp should we set the oven to, I'm totally doing this this week to my box of motherboards, cable modem, etc.

200'F is what most components can take, from what I've seen. So half of 400'F isnt "right"

Are you sure you've got the right temperature scale? Solder melts around 200 Celsius.
robodonut

Postby hypercube33 » April 14th, 2011, 8:10 am

Very much so. I've seen computer components run fine over 90'C ==198~F or so in my head.

So someone above complained that 400'[b]F[/b] was way too much, and he should do half of that (obviously, 200'F) which wont melt crap.
hypercube33

Next

Return to Project Logs