Portable Xbox 360 for under $200

Keep a log of a project build here. Be sure to include pictures and as much documentation as possible.

Portable Xbox 360 for under $200

Postby azazelcrey » April 3rd, 2011, 11:21 am

This is the second portable Xbox 360 I've made from stuff laying around my house other then the suit case I put it in which I purchased at Home-Depot for $20. All I needed was a Dremal tool, hot glue gun,soldering iron,Plexiglas,wire,xbox-360, basic soldering-skills,knowledge of electricity and lots of cutting disks for my Dremal. The first one I made was sloppy but it worked great and gave me new ideas for the second. I measure the top cover of the aluminum suit case and make sure I have an LCD screen that fits and if the screen has built in speakers the better. the first one I made I used speakers and a DC power brick from an altek lansing computer speaker system and wired them in to the Stock Xbox 360 power supply the second one I've made had speakers built in to the LCD monitor so No need for the DC brick and extra wiring thus giving me more space for other fun. The second one I made has external Power/Eject and syncing momentary buttons That are soldered to the leads on the 360 MoBo I used my soldering skills to power the LCD from the 110v leads coming into the xbox power brick. I added AC/DC adapter connected to a rail with +- screws to power my fans and can easily remove or add more as I please. I mounted and soldered a power plug from a computer power supply to the outside of the case to the male end of a PC power cord that connects to the 360 power brick to power the whole unit. The back of the suitcase has an Ethernet port that is wired to the stock Ethernet port for online capabilities. I extended the power and SATA wires for the Dvd drive so I could put the drive on the left side of the suit case. Behind the Dvd drive and on top of the Dvd drive I have storage for games a controller and the power cord.I cut Plexiglas and diamond designed plastic to cover the 360 and give it some good looks. I have a total of 6 fans wired to it so it shouldn't overheat 3 over the GPU and 3 stock fans. I have about 10 hours invested in to the second one where as the first one I worked on it for about 2 weeks off and on. Once I learn the pinout of LCD screens from laptops I will figure out how to make my project much smaller and lighter.
Attachments
small.JPG
(15.6 KiB) Downloaded 2406 times
untitled.JPG
(28.41 KiB) Downloaded 2411 times
azazelcrey

Re: Portable Xbox 360 for under $200

Postby azazelcrey » April 5th, 2011, 7:19 pm

azazelcrey wrote:This is the second portable Xbox 360 I've made from stuff laying around my house other then the suit case I put it in which I purchased at Home-Depot for $20. All I needed was a Dremal tool, hot glue gun,soldering iron,Plexiglas,wire,xbox-360, basic soldering-skills,knowledge of electricity and lots of cutting disks for my Dremal. The first one I made was sloppy but it worked great and gave me new ideas for the second. I measure the top cover of the aluminum suit case and make sure I have an LCD screen that fits and if the screen has built in speakers the better. the first one I made I used speakers and a DC power brick from an altek lansing computer speaker system and wired them in to the Stock Xbox 360 power supply the second one I've made had speakers built in to the LCD monitor so No need for the DC brick and extra wiring thus giving me more space for other fun. The second one I made has external Power/Eject and syncing momentary buttons That are soldered to the leads on the 360 MoBo I used my soldering skills to power the LCD from the 110v leads coming into the xbox power brick. I added AC/DC adapter connected to a rail with +- screws to power my fans and can easily remove or add more as I please. I mounted and soldered a power plug from a computer power supply to the outside of the case to the male end of a PC power cord that connects to the 360 power brick to power the whole unit. The back of the suitcase has an Ethernet port that is wired to the stock Ethernet port for online capabilities. I extended the power and SATA wires for the Dvd drive so I could put the drive on the left side of the suit case. Behind the Dvd drive and on top of the Dvd drive I have storage for games a controller and the power cord.I cut Plexiglas and diamond designed plastic to cover the 360 and give it some good looks. I have a total of 6 fans wired to it so it shouldn't overheat 3 over the GPU and 3 stock fans. I have about 10 hours invested in to the second one where as the first one I worked on it for about 2 weeks off and on. Once I learn the pinout of LCD screens from laptops I will figure out how to make my project much smaller and lighter.

Comments and Ideas welcome, Philipnickerson@yahoo.com Http://azazelcrey.co.cc
azazelcrey

Return to Project Logs