Thecontrollerproject Entry - Xbox gamepad with top triggers

Keep a log of a project build here. Be sure to include pictures and as much documentation as possible.

Thecontrollerproject Entry - Xbox gamepad with top triggers

Postby Tomasito » September 26th, 2013, 12:09 pm

Hello everybody, so I just read about the "thecontrolerproject" contest on HaD and gave it a try.
I just drawed this on rhino, let me know what you think of it. It's still work-in-progress and there are tons of things to polish, but the main concept is there.

And this is the 3d model (Rhino4 format): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109 ... amepad.3dm
(I don't own the controller model, I just downloaded it and it's here for demostration purposes only, the original model can be found here.)

It's easily made on a 3d printer, only the mounting bracket would have to be laser cut from aluminum or steel plate and bended (to save costs), but it could be 3d printed with some reinforcements. The mounting bracket goes with four screws that are not in the drawing. The two on the top screws directly on the controller (there is plenty of room inside, so nothing gets damaged), and the two bottom ones screw where the casing screws should go.
Tomasito

Re: Thecontrollerproject Entry - Xbox gamepad with top trigg

Postby calebkraft » September 26th, 2013, 12:22 pm

It looks good! I will try to download the files and test them out in the near future. I might suggest that you extend the piece that actuates the trigger a little bit towards the other buttons. Looks like a big stretch to get to it right now.

I love where this is going though!
calebkraft

Postby Tomasito » September 26th, 2013, 1:18 pm

You are right Caleb, when i looked at it with my gamepad, my thumb could reach there with no problems, but I now noticed that if I have my hand in a position that's comfortable to reach the trigger, the analog stick is uncomfortable to reach.
I changed it, it's a little more complicated and i've to work out the leverage but I think it's a lot better now.
The updated model is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109 ... %20001.3dm

EDIT: Added another one to have a better look:

PS: If you're going to print it, let me know first so I can optimize it a little bit for the print.
Tomasito

Postby Tomasito » September 27th, 2013, 12:49 am

Made some updates, here they are:

Tomasito

Postby calebkraft » September 28th, 2013, 1:28 pm

I love that you're managing to get the trigger action closer to the other buttons. I wonder if you're adding much more force required though with that linkage. Any chance you could export the models as .stl? If you email me directly at hello@calebkraft.com I'll respond quicker. I'd like to try to print this and see how it works.

I think combining this with the mount shown in the #1 winner might be a great solution.
calebkraft

Postby Quin » September 28th, 2013, 6:58 pm

I don't even have a 360 controller (ps2 analog forever! well, till the steam controller tests out) but I love those linkages. The top shoulder looks a little high to me to be thumb only...high being away from wrist...shorter thumbs couldn't reach over to it while using the sticks or d pad. I wonder if the weight of extending them further would make the buttons too easy to trigger?

Oh, and personal props for Rhino use, I miss my old pirated student copy; need to get a new student ID and pick up a real copy.
Quin

Postby Tomasito » September 29th, 2013, 8:59 am

Caleb, I added the possibility to select the force requiered to actuate the triggers just by moving a pin to another hole.
I sent you the .stl files by email.
This is how it is right now:

I wish I had access to a printer to try it by myself.

Quin, I tried with the gamepad on my hand that the places where I put the triggers are an easy reach, I don't have big nor small hands. I don't think wheight is gonna be a problem. In any case, it's easy to make a larger or shorter lever in case it's needed.

PS: Rhino rocks, when I discovered it on 2004 I never went back to autocad or any other CAD (2D and 3D).
Tomasito

Return to Project Logs