Happy new year!
Wondering about something, that you don't understand is NEVER dumb! It's good to think about things and thinking about solutions for a problem
It's been a while, since I took a look at this thread and working on that project.
What I know now, all the available frontlights are acrylic sheets. BUT, they are something special, because of the ridges they have on the side that is directed to the LCD.
The problem is, that these ridges(the GBA SP FL has these ridges too) are very accurate. For the best efficiency, the ridges must deflect the light that comes from the edge directly to the display. The best angle would be 90°
The finer the ridges, the best you can see through the sheet. Here
you can see, how Amazon explain the frontlight of the kindle paper white.
Of course, a DIY solution will NEVER be as good as the solution for Amazon's ebook reader^^
But at the moment, I'm waiting for the sand paper I've ordered. It's very fine, so maybe it will work if I sand the acrylic sheet. I've ordered different kinds of sand paper. Maybe I can finally work out a solution, that is better than the commercial one that is available at aliexpress.
I've also ordered a sample of PlexiGlas Endlighten T. Here
you can find two pictures. The first one is normal acrylic sheet and on the second picture you can see the Endlighten T. Here
you can see two pictures with white paper under the acryl.What I've tried already:Using more than one acrylic sheet, put two sheets(thickness=0.75mm) togetherRESULT:
It helped just slightly.Using an anti reflective film(available for cell phone displays)RESULT:
Helped a lot to spread the light, but I couldn't see anything clear trough the sheet.Using a normal protective filmRESULT:
It helped more than using two layers of acrylic sheet, but even with brighter LEDs, well, it spreads the light, but I guess due to the fact, that the film is spreading it in various angles, the displays background doesn't reflect enough light to see trough the sheet.Using sand paper to satin the acrylic sheet:RESULT:
Failed, due to the rough sand paper I used(I've ordered finer-grained for more tests)
Well, I'm still working on it...
But I guess the other Gameboy project I'm working on, will be finished sooner^^