$20 DIY H-gate PC shifter for sim racing

Keep a log of a project build here. Be sure to include pictures and as much documentation as possible.

Re: $20 DIY H-gate PC shifter for sim racing

Postby PYrolev » January 22nd, 2014, 6:44 am

Did you ever finalize the code for the teensy board? I've got big plans of making one of these for myself.
PYrolev

Postby Andrea D » April 9th, 2014, 9:52 pm

Hi mate, I've watched the video and read this topic like a year ago and for first I want to thank you for sharing.
Now I'm going to make my H-Shifter using a old gameport joystick for the mechanism and those clasps to keep the gear in place.
This is the original joystick, a Trust Predator: http://trust.cordoba.cdn.lukkien.com/pu ... 0/16006183
This the interior: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ts4pnxy0co9cobp/IMAG0223.jpg

How do you keep the white part attached to the L bracket moving? Don't you need any bearing?

I have a question, are you sure a keyboard is really better than a controller as a input? I made a handbrake + sequential shifter before (https://www.dropbox.com/s/1f8eghwrofiufqa/IMAG0226.jpg), and I used a keyboard myself, but I can't find any pro using that (i've had it around so I used it, but didn't planned it), I can only see cons like can't use some keys on the real keyboard in-game (that's only 8 keys you need so you have so many left to use, yeah, but that wouldn't happen with the controller). I think I will also try to interface the potentiometers of the original joystick with an arduino mini board, not using any switch but only x/y positions, but I think that will be so hard (I don't have any Arduino experience).

I also dind't fully understand what the Act Labs program is needed for, can't you just configure the gear keys in game?

Sorry for my English and for my bad photos, it's 6am in Italy.
Andrea D

Postby d0baTa » May 20th, 2014, 1:05 pm

I started to build the h-shifter but I don't know which is the ground wire. Here is the board.
Can you tell me which wire I need to mash to the bolt.
d0baTa

Postby nikescar » May 21st, 2014, 12:53 am

d0baTa wrote:I started to build the h-shifter but I don't know which is the ground wire. Here is the board.
Can you tell me which wire I need to mash to the bolt.

Here is a pic of the controller board. Red is what I believe to be the ground. Notice the green line that I made connects to every button on the controller. On my board this was the ground pulling down the 5v when the button is pressed. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a cheap multimeter to make sure though.
nikescar

Postby Cooldude359 » July 16th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Hi there, I am just starting the electronics portion of this shifter, and I too need help with the controller board. I am not sure where to solder.
I have attached a couple pictures.
*the blue dots are either holes from screws, or holes that the rubber pieces were held in by*

DSCF5016.JPG

DSCF5014.JPG

Ah, crap missed one of the holes for the rubber pieces, the hole directly above and to the left the "cross" button is supposed to be blue aswell
If you need any other pictures please let me know

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thanks!
Cooldude359

Postby nikescar » July 16th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Cooldude359 wrote:I am not sure where to solder.

Here is a marked-up pic
Red circle is a negative test pad, green is the button control test pad. You are going to be soldering each switch to a different button pad and then all switches can be soldered to the same negative pad.

It wouldn't hurt to check these with a mulitmeter before you plug any power in though.
nikescar

Postby Cooldude359 » July 16th, 2014, 2:20 pm

Oh, that makes since now, don't know how i didn't make that out before.
Thanks!

Here is what I do have done so far:

DSCF5017.JPG

The only major difference between mine and yours is that i used a real cork, which was a complete pain to work with, it took me 3 corks to get it right...
Cooldude359

Postby ramim » October 31st, 2014, 3:42 pm

Hi;

So after seeing nikescar video and his post, I decided to build my own shifter. I have a g27 but I don't like the feel of soft shifting. Because I have not enough tools to help me with my build, I would say this build wasn't easy, and I worked on it several days, since the original idea of nikescar to put two cabinet door clasps on a rail and move them side to side didn't work for me, although I built two rails, 1st,2nd, and reverse positions would clog, other positions in the middle area would work fine. Maybe the rail had a wide hole which made the screw change position on far right and far left gears. So what I have done is the same idea of nikescar except that I have put 7 cabinet door clasps, one for each shift, and got rid of the rail. I used wood squares 15cm x 15cm for base and sides that will hold shifter plate. I used a plastic cutting board and a driller (which took much time, and it wasn't even or smooth for each position). I bought an iron clasps(not painted), attached each wire from game pad(which was already soldered) to a clasp, then attached the ground wire to the shifter. I put at the base of the bolted spring, a small piece of sponge, then wrapped the end of the 8 inch screw with wires wrappers to give it softness and to make it wider so it won't get out of the spring, I used several springs, you should use one which if you put the long screw in, it won't lean to any side.
Well after all the effort I am happy with my build, but you need to be very careful not to cut or hurt yourself in any way, always be focused while using tools. The fun thing about building your own shifter or anything else, is that you know how to repair it, or change a part, not the same if you bought an aftermarket shifter, if it broke or you didn't like anything about it, you can't tweak it.
Here are pictures of the final build, also if you decide to do it, you need to be extra patient, because it might not work from the first time, align the clasps with the rod and test to see if it works for all positions. Just my 2 cents.

ramim

Postby ShenLun » December 10th, 2014, 8:39 pm

HI

I love the idea, but I was wondering if you could shed some light on a the exact usb controller you bought please.

I am wanting to use this for euro truck simulator (as I am trying to get some hours up before actually get my license/ CDL). How can i change the standard 7 speed into a 18 or even 21 speed shifter? But also use it a 7 speed for other racing games? 6 forward one reverse?

Also do you have any plans for a diy driving wheel?

Kind Regards
ShenLun
ShenLun

Postby Bigpeterson » December 26th, 2014, 7:00 am

Can you share the H gate template again? The link has been disabled.
Bigpeterson

PreviousNext

Return to Project Logs